Start all over on the MAC

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SusieN56, Jul 19, 2009.

1. SusieN56 macrumors newbie

I have a personal website that i designed in Front Page when I was using a PC.

I now have a macbook and am toying with the idea of switching the web design to it. I own the domain and have hosting so mobile me and iWeb don't look like options that I want.

Dreamweaver is more than I want to spend, so I am looking for an alternative approach.

I like the layout that I have, but after googling, I don't find any way to convert from Front Page to anything on the mac. But, I really don't want to start from scratch if I don't have to as the photos and videos are linked into the site.

Any thoughts?

the web adress is winstondoesagility.com if that helps.

Thanks
    Susanne

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Your site would be well served being remade from scratch using more modern techniques such as CSS.
    I would suggest looking at things like rapidweaver, iweb and if you have a bit of time you can learn to code using HMTL and CSS using the resources from w3c schools and htmldog to get you started.
    As it stands the site you have has a lot of content but it is hampered by a dated looking design and old coding practices.
    Take a look at some of the stickies in this forum as many users here have links to applications and resources.

3. hawky525 macrumors newbie

If you'd like to find out about modern standards for web design the following two sites are invaluable:
    Tizag
    HTML Dog

I've recently finished a University dissertation on a website to track running times and fitness levels. The two sites formed the basis of my knowledge on CSS, XHTML and PHP to build the mentioned site.

I hope they help you :)

4. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

www.w3schools.com is a good place to learn everything you'll need.

That site would be pretty easy to redo in HTML / CSS and a bit of Javascript.

As for your header, is it normal that it floats at the right of the screen? I have a 1920x1080 resolution and when I looked at your website it was at least 1200px wide and the header wasn't aligned at all with the content. If I resize it to its minimum width, it's at its place.

Just adding float:left; to the header div would fix this problem.

As for tools, if you want to learn HTML, I suggest Coda. If you want a WYSIWYG editor, dreamweaver will be the most flexible one since RapidWeaver and iWeb pretty much use their own templates and coding practices that make websites but almost uneditable with something else.

5. André M macrumors member

As most other people have already said, more html and css and when thats done (im never done learning that :p) add some php and sql in there, it all comes together to make some amazing and well, you can make basically anything with those 4 languages.

6. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Wordpress!
    1. Download software for free from
    http://wordpress.org

2. Don't go near wordpress.com, commercial web blogs not encouraged there, mainly for blogging

3. But to learn how to build a pretty good website quickly, just use Wordpress as a website (and blog if you really want to) and use one of their many beautiful FREE themes, and you're away!
    http://wordpress.tv/category/how-to/

Other than that: iWeb, iWeb, iWeb if you don't want to learn XHTML, CSS, or PHP.