Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Just had a screen repair on an iPhone (via Apple), daughter was always complaining the battery was bad, as the iPhone had been factory reset he tested and said was fine, and said could have been corrupt software which would be "fixed" now as has been factory reset.

However if I now put the backup from my iMac I presume this will just be the same as before with the "corrupted" software?

So I remember ages ago I backed up iMessage with another program iBackupBot? so I could start form fresh, add apps, then add the iMessages back. However this time she has snapchat, Facebook messenger, instagram etc, how do I backup all this (rubbish!?!), as want this as well?

Or should I just do a backup/restore form the iMac anyway?
thanks

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't know if Facebook messenger backups message history to a location where it can be used for iTunes backup.
Basically, the idea is to create a local encrypted iTunes backup, and then use third party software to modify the backup so that information you want is in backup while those you don't want can be removed. This is just theoretically practical but I never try this one.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, and Instagram don't need to be backed up. Just download the apps again and log in. Everything will still be there.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
All the rubbish apps you mentioned are web based, meaning their data is stored on their servers. So like mentioned just logging in leaves you where you left off essentially.

Services like contacts, notes, reminders, calendars, etc are similar as they are sync to the iTunes account so logging in will repopulate all that stuff as well.

iMessage, not so much. You'll need to find your own means of restoring that if you don't want to use a back up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.