iPad mini Start imessage on iPhone 5 and continue convo in Ipad mini?

Vell843

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I have an iPhone 5 and plan on purchasing a iPad mini (wifi only version) next week. My question is if I start a conversation on my iPhone, will I be able to pick up conversation on my iPad where I left off on my iPhone? For example: My GF if imessaging me while I am at work and when I get home, I want to continue to get her imessages on my iPad and respond to her from my iPad. Is that possible?

Vell843

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Can you please tell me how? Now keep in mind on my iPhone, it's set up for me to get imessages via my phone number and not my email. I thought I read somewhere that I have to set up my iPad to get imessage at my email address and give other person with iOS device my email address to add to my contact info?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Can you please tell me how? Now keep in mind on my iPhone, it's set up for me to get imessages via my phone number and not my email. I thought I read somewhere that I have to set up my iPad to get imessage at my email address and give other person with iOS device my email address to add to my contact info?
Under iOS 6 you can set up the iPad to receive the message from your phone number. I have my iPad 2, iPhone 5, MBA and iMac all set up to receive and send messages via phone number.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
My conversations sync between iPad and my iPhone 5 and my mac mini. I had to initiate a message on each device to get it to function like this, for some odd reason. People who I've just conversed with on my iPhone 5 don't show up on my iPad 3. On iOS 7 though, I had no contacts installed initially on my test device and conversations came through.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Under iOS 6 you can set up the iPad to receive the message from your phone number. I have my iPad 2, iPhone 5, MBA and iMac all set up to receive and send messages via phone number.
Cool, I appreciate all the help!!