START NEW, OR KEEP WHAT I HAVE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by servenvolley, Jul 25, 2017.

1. servenvolley macrumors newbie

I currently have a new 9.7 iPad Pro, an early '15 MBP 13", and an '09 iMac 27". I was just given a new 12.9 iPad Pro through work so I don't need the 9.7 iPad (terrible timing on that purchase) any longer. The 2015 MBP is running off of Apple Care next month. I target display to the '09 iMac. I love the set up I have now, especially with the iPad being thrown in the mix. I worry though that the iMac screen might go sometime in the near future and I don't like being without the apple care on the MBP. I looked around and I have found a place that will give me 1300.00 dollars for the iPad, the MBP, and the iMac for a trade in on a new computer.
    My question is: Is there a computer out there now that I could buy in that price range that would compliment the 12.9 iPad that is better than what I currently have set up with the MBP targeted to the iMac? (I also use the MBP on its own quite often)
    I know I could sell the three items individually and make more money but I don't enjoy that process at all.

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Refurbished iMac of your choice (21" or 27"). That way you have your portable "pro" solution and you have a desktop with macOS. Might need more than $1300 to cover the cost but won't be much more if iMac is just used for light tasks.

3. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

If your hardware is doing what you need, why go through all the hassle and expense? I hate to be "that guy" but I feel like it's easy to get caught in the bright/new/shiny trap and upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

4. servenvolley thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you there. I'm just worried about cost of repairs, or perhaps even worse on the '09 iMac. I have already had to replace a hard drive on the iMac and put a new screen on the MBP and those things get expensive without any apple care (talking MBP here). I've actually looked at what is available now in my price range and nothing matches up to what I have for features and flexibility of use. So I am leaning towards just staying with it and counting on Apple's great build quality to last me a few more years. Thanks.

5. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I mean anything could happen at any time, but the Macbook Air I'm using is about 4 years old, and until recently I was working on a Mac Mini that was easily 6 years old. The Mini is on my girlfriend's desk and still cranking away perfectly. The Air, I use every day. This is all totally anecdotal, but I've been using Macs since the early 90s and all of them have had great lifespans. Usually I end up upgrading because my needs change, not because anything happened to the hardware. And again, there are always exceptions, but that's been my experience.

Also, you know the minute you upgrade, something way nicer is going to come out -- that's always the way of it :)