Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
There's no reason why Nikon and Canon can't clean up in the mirrorless market but neither have much track record outside of their comfort zone. Nikon will probably go with a new mount and an adapter while Canon might be able to use the M-mount for FF mirrorless with a new set of lenses.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Personally I’m happy in mirrorless land already with my Fuji cameras and have zero interest in any me-too product from Nikon or Canon half a decade after mirrorless became a thing for me.

Reactions: bhodinut and Mark0

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If will be interesting to see if Nikon and Canon have to change their lens mounts moving from DSLRs to mirrorless. It should make for an interesting 2019.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-preview-video-shows-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-32508
They've been talking about a z mount for months, so pretty sure that's a done deal.

I'll wait and see tbh. Still nobody can tell me why a mirrorless is better.
Weight but by the time you factor in extra batteries it doesn't make much difference.
[doublepost=1532365480][/doublepost]
hey I have a nikon......
All the pro's do! ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My feeling is that Nikon is coming to the mirrorless game so late that they really would have to have a stunning product that would capture people's attention and immediately be even more functional and useful for a number of photographers in order to instigate a switch on the part of many users from Sony (which at the moment seems to be ruling the roost in the mirrorless category). I myself am on the fence at the moment about where I want to go with future camera gear purchases. I've had a Sony NEX-7 for a number of years now and I've loved it, and I've also had the Sony RX100 M III and now have the RX100 M V and MVI. All are pretty cool, sophisticated cameras. In the beginning Sony didn't have many lenses to offer in the E-mount category, but now they've got quite a few, plus they have gone on from APS-C to offering full-frame FE-mount cameras. At the moment, I'm leaning very much in the direction of picking up a Sony A7 III and a couple of lenses, but the camera body and certain lenses have proven to be so popular that they're actually hard to get one's hands on. This is a situation where I would most definitely want to actually handle the camera prior to making a purchase, so unlike the RX 100 M VI, which I felt comfortable preordering from B&H because of familiarity with the RX100 line already, I am waiting until the time I can have a hands-on experience with the A7 III and lenses. In the meantime now there is the tantalizing news about Nikon's venture into mirrorless, with hints that we'll be hearing about the release of the two bodies and a few lenses soon.....

I have used Nikon since the late 1980s if I recall correctly; prior to that I'd used other brands of SLRs but Nikon was for me, the brand to strive for, the one to get when I felt I was a good enough photographer to really be able to utilize whichever camera I chose. I brought home that Nikon N90 with a sense of wonder..... Years later, after sticking my toes into the water of digital photography with a series of Coolpixes, one day I knew it was time to get a DSLR, and of course that DSLR was going to be a Nikon. It just felt right in my hands, felt very comfortable and familiar while at the same time was also a bit strange-looking with that LCD screen on the back....LOL!! The D70 and I hit it off immediately. A few years and a couple of other Nikon DSLRs later when I felt I was ready to "graduate" to the D3, I stood in the store feeling much the same as I had that day back when I got my very first Nikon SLR.....

It's going to be really interesting to see what Nikon has to offer us with its new mirrorless cameras and accompanying lenses, plus what they provide as an adapter for those of us who have Nikon F-mount lenses that we've loved and used for (in some cases) many years. I'm looking forward to the big reveal, but at the same time I'm being realistic enough to know that whatever Nikon is offering may not suit my needs for one reason or another and that I do already have my very positive experiences with Sony over the last little while which more than likely may be convincing enough to find me in a store one day having hands-on getting-to-know-you with the A7 III and bringing one home.....

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My feeling is that Nikon is coming to the mirrorless game so late that they really would have to have a stunning product that would capture people's attention and immediately be even more functional and useful for a number of photographers in order to instigate a switch on the part of many users from Sony (which at the moment seems to be ruling the roost in the mirrorless category). I myself am on the fence at the moment about where I want to go with future camera gear purchases. I've had a Sony NEX-7 for a number of years now and I've loved it, and I've also had the Sony RX100 M III and now have the RX100 M V and MVI. All are pretty cool, sophisticated cameras. In the beginning Sony didn't have many lenses to offer in the E-mount category, but now they've got quite a few, plus they have gone on from APS-C to offering full-frame FE-mount cameras. At the moment, I'm leaning very much in the direction of picking up a Sony A7 III and a couple of lenses, but the camera body and certain lenses have proven to be so popular that they're actually hard to get one's hands on. This is a situation where I would most definitely want to actually handle the camera prior to making a purchase, so unlike the RX 100 M VI, which I felt comfortable preordering from B&H because of familiarity with the RX100 line already, I am waiting until the time I can have a hands-on experience with the A7 III and lenses. In the meantime now there is the tantalizing news about Nikon's venture into mirrorless, with hints that we'll be hearing about the release of the two bodies and a few lenses soon.....

I have used Nikon since the late 1980s if I recall correctly; prior to that I'd used other brands of SLRs but Nikon was for me, the brand to strive for, the one to get when I felt I was a good enough photographer to really be able to utilize whichever camera I chose. I brought home that Nikon N90 with a sense of wonder..... Years later, after sticking my toes into the water of digital photography with a series of Coolpixes, one day I knew it was time to get a DSLR, and of course that DSLR was going to be a Nikon. It just felt right in my hands, felt very comfortable and familiar while at the same time was also a bit strange-looking with that LCD screen on the back....LOL!! The D70 and I hit it off immediately. A few years and a couple of other Nikon DSLRs later when I felt I was ready to "graduate" to the D3, I stood in the store feeling much the same as I had that day back when I got my very first Nikon SLR.....

It's going to be really interesting to see what Nikon has to offer us with its new mirrorless cameras and accompanying lenses, plus what they provide as an adapter for those of us who have Nikon F-mount lenses that we've loved and used for (in some cases) many years. I'm looking forward to the big reveal, but at the same time I'm being realistic enough to know that whatever Nikon is offering may not suit my needs for one reason or another and that I do already have my very positive experiences with Sony over the last little while which more than likely may be convincing enough to find me in a store one day having hands-on getting-to-know-you with the A7 III and bringing one home.....
Head over to Nikonrumors for a preview!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thanks, AFB! Yes, I've seen the video and the presumably leaked photos..... Someone on NikonCafe brought them to our attention there. Still waiting until we hear and see something more specific from Nikon, with sample photos from the cameras, prices, and of course eventually reviews from professional photography reviewers..... Fortunately I'm not in any big hurry to get new gear -- my latest acquisition, the RX100 M6 has temporarily satisfied that itch -- so I'm content to wait and see what Nikon does have to offer us.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks, AFB! Yes, I've seen the video and the presumably leaked photos..... Someone on NikonCafe brought them to our attention there. Still waiting until we hear and see something more specific from Nikon, with sample photos from the cameras, prices, and of course eventually reviews from professional photography reviewers..... Fortunately I'm not in any big hurry to get new gear -- my latest acquisition, the RX100 M6 has temporarily satisfied that itch -- so I'm content to wait and see what Nikon does have to offer us.
I'm also going to be waiting before purchasing anything new. I doubt any new gear would improve my shots. Gear isn't my problem!

Reactions: kenoh and bhodinut

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
LOL! I hear you on that! At times I think, "do I really want to spend another several thousand dollars on a new camera body and lenses?" It isn't as though I'm producing stunning images that people hang on their walls or which are exhibited in galleries. Maybe I should just be happy with my new little RX100 or maybe get her big sister, the RX10 MIV, which is a bridge camera, no lenses to change, a fairly long zoom reach.....and be done with it! That camera would be significantly less expensive than buying either a new Nikon body or the Sony A7III and two or three lenses.....

What gives me pause, though, is that 1-inch sensor in the RX10 IV. It's fine in the RX100 M VI, a camera meant for carrying around frequently, tucked into my bag, for casual shots I can get around the neighborhood or wherever I might happen to be, but I'm not so convinced that a 1-inch sensor in a larger camera with a longer zoom would be as satisfying to me as shooting a camera with a full-frame sensor and full-frame lenses. Then again, if I'm only shooting stuff for myself and to share online, am certainly not making money in photography, I"m just a hobbyist, and a retired one on a fixed income at that...... Decisions, decisions!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
LOL! I hear you on that! At times I think, "do I really want to spend another several thousand dollars on a new camera body and lenses?" It isn't as though I'm producing stunning images that people hang on their walls or which are exhibited in galleries. Maybe I should just be happy with my new little RX100 or maybe get her big sister, the RX10 MIV, which is a bridge camera, no lenses to change, a fairly long zoom reach.....and be done with it! That camera would be significantly less expensive than buying either a new Nikon body or the Sony A7III and two or three lenses.....

What gives me pause, though, is that 1-inch sensor in the RX10 IV. It's fine in the RX100 M VI, a camera meant for carrying around frequently, tucked into my bag, for casual shots I can get around the neighborhood or wherever I might happen to be, but I'm not so convinced that a 1-inch sensor in a larger camera with a longer zoom would be as satisfying to me as shooting a camera with a full-frame sensor and full-frame lenses. Then again, if I'm only shooting stuff for myself and to share online, am certainly not making money in photography, I"m just a hobbyist, and a retired one on a fixed income at that...... Decisions, decisions!!
People are always chasing the latest and greatest. But let's be honest no new camera or lens is going to change your ability to shoot or not shoot a composition.
Yes a new lens might give you a different option, but you still need to be able to see a good image.
My biggest problem is seeing the picture and getting out there in the first place!
If my camera weighed the same as a dime, I'd not get out with my camera any more often. That's not my issue.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, there is that......a photographer with a good eye for composition, awareness of light conditions and a knack for finding interesting scenes or situations to shoot can actually do quite well with just about any camera, including an iPhone or an inexpensive P&S. I've seen some really amazing images shot with an iPhone (even the older ones back in the days before the cameras in them were as good as they are now) and I've seen some lousy images shot with far more expensive cameras and lenses. One way to develop an eye for composition and such is to look at others' photos, both the classic images in books about the history of photography and online; for instance, I've learned a lot about wildlife photography and shooting BIF (Birds in Flight) or BOS (Bird On Stick [tree branch or limb]) by viewing some of the remarkable images that some participants on NikonCafe have shared. In looking at their images, with incredible feather detail, interesting positioning of the bird in flight or on the ground, etc., I realize that, sure, a 500mm, 600mm or 800mm lens on a tripod with a Wimberley gimbal head may have played a significant role in capturing the image in the first place, but also it is the photographer's own skill and ability to adjust his or her settings in the camera in order to take best advantage of the lighting situation, and awareness of bird behavior so that they can successfully anticipate the best time to click the shutter, etc., etc. Knowing how to quickly adapt to a specific situation is something which develops over time the more one shoots and uses his tools, familiarizing himself thoroughly with his gear so that it is responsive at the time it is needed to be so.

Definitely no new camera or lens is going to change one's ability to visualize and shoot a composition, but it may be a huge contributing factor in getting the shot, especially if the final result depends on resolving power and other technical aspects in the camera body or lens. Newer cameras and lenses do have some wonderful new technology in them that we didn't have even just a few years ago and sure didn't have back in 2005, when I bought my first digital SLR (D70)!

So, yes, it does require both skills and knowledge on the part of the photographer and depending upon the situation, good camera gear that is well-suited to the particular shooting session. If for instance I had a tripod out on my deck and a 600mm lens mounted on it and spotted a GBH sitting on a post at the far end of our little lake and fired off a few shots at 600mm with a full-frame camera and lens with at least a resolution in megapixels of, say, 24 mp, as opposed to grabbing a P&S that has a 1/2-inch sensor and again somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-24 mp and a lens which purportedly zooms out to 600mm (equivalent) and leaned on my deck railing for support (no tripod) and again fired off a couple shots of the same bird in the same position, which images from which camera do you think will be far more satisfactory? :) I'm no pixel-peeper, heaven knows, but I have learned quite a lot from those who are!!

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
They've been talking about a z mount for months, so pretty sure that's a done deal.

I'll wait and see tbh. Still nobody can tell me why a mirrorless is better.
Weight but by the time you factor in extra batteries it doesn't make much difference.

Of course it all depends on your needs.

One huge benefit is the WYSIWYG with regards to exposure - even with some rather dark filters. May or may not be "better", but sure does help with quickly obtaining the correct exposure.
Also, no mirror slap - fewer moving parts. Less noise.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
One thing I love about my mirrorless NEX-7 and my other Sony cameras is the Focus Peaking feature -- that is just terrific, especially when shooting in manual focus such as with macro..... It will be interesting to see whether or not Nikon offers something similar with its new mirrorless cameras.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Of course it all depends on your needs.

One huge benefit is the WYSIWYG with regards to exposure - even with some rather dark filters. May or may not be "better", but sure does help with quickly obtaining the correct exposure.
Also, no mirror slap - fewer moving parts. Less noise.
I assume you mean audio noise rather than grain?
As I don't shoot people doesn't bother me, but I guess for weddings and stuff it would matter.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, with a mirrorless camera, you don't get that loud "smack" as the mirror slaps....and you can put a mirrorless camera into full silent mode, which is very valuable for wedding photographers and others in situations where the noise of a camera being fired off every couple minutes would be very distracting and irritating.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Yes, with a mirrorless camera, you don't get that loud "smack" as the mirror slaps....and you can put a mirrorless camera into full silent mode, which is very valuable for wedding photographers and others in situations where the noise of a camera being fired off every couple minutes would be very distracting and irritating.

Well that's disappointing. I get that sometimes you might need a silent camera, but even the iPhone has a shutter noise when you use its camera.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I like and prefer to hear the noise of the shutter myself, and I don't shoot weddings or participate in other events where a shutter sound would be distracting, so for me putting a camera into totally silent mode isn't necessary. I think my new RX100 M6 has a silent mode, but I'm not interested in implementing it. I also like to hear the reassuring "beep!" when my subject is in focus, too. Some people turn that off as it bothers them (or bothers others if they're shooting in public somewhere). I remember years ago when I shot a photo or two with my first iPhone how tickled I was to hear that shutter sound -- I still am, actually. I'm glad that Apple incorporated that into their iPhone cameras!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
To clarify something -- yes, one does get a shutter sound when shooting with a mirrorless camera, it's more of a "click" than a "slap," so it's not quite the same as the mirror slap sound. Also, with a mirrorless camera there is not the need for a "mirror up" function since there is no mirror in the first place.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I'd abandon Fuji and hop on a Nikon mirrorless in a heartbeat. If it's sized right. And from anything I've seen, it won't be.

Nikon's work: excellent metering, excellent awb, excellent AF, rugged, deep lens availability. I get irritated with something about existing mirrorless cameras frequently, if not constantly. They are too often the product of consumer electronics companies betting on the sad fact standards of acceptable performance are very low. Toss some social network advertising at the target user group and they'll buy anything.

I'm on a 3 month holiday at the moment in Europe. Default system Fuji stayed at our Swiss home. A Sony RX100 came along to see what that's all about. 4 days later I now have a Lumix GX85 plus a couple of lenses arriving this week. I'd welcome a mirrorless camera that does not have serious omissions that affect usability. As in, I understand the GX85 that's in the mail lacks a decent viewfinder and has no provision for minimum shutter speed for auto ISO. Perhaps the former saves fifty cents and the latter saves hiring someone who knows anything about using a camera.

But again, anything I've looked at with respect to Nikon's rangefinder model shows what appears to be a very large body with a very large lens. So my voyage from "serious" mirrorless cameras to cheap, discontinued, refurb'd, low end model mirrorless continues.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
People are always chasing the latest and greatest. But let's be honest no new camera or lens is going to change your ability to shoot or not shoot a composition.
Yes a new lens might give you a different option, but you still need to be able to see a good image.
My biggest problem is seeing the picture and getting out there in the first place!
If my camera weighed the same as a dime, I'd not get out with my camera any more often. That's not my issue.

Funny isn't it, that this is lesson one in photography but it takes almost everyone (including the film shooters!) years to learn. It took me at least 5 years and I still have to remind myself.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I won't be a customer for this camera(I'm pretty well married to SLRs), but it's still good/exciting news.

I know there was some debate about whether or not Nikon would continue using the F mount, but I think dropping it is the right move. A D3400 and Nikon F actually have a mount that looks surprisingly similar, but in functionality only the bayonet, locking pin, and stop down lever remain the same. High end cameras, of course, have much more "cluttered" mounts, although they've been de-cluttered a lot with every camera released since the F4(which had a LOT of baggage in its mount that allows it to work with non-AI, AI, AI-s, AF, AF-I, AF-S, and G).

Still, though, it has among the smallest if not the smallest mount diameters on the market, and also has the longest registration distance of a 35mm camera. A robust, and probably all-electronic, new mount with a well thought out F mount adapter will be welcome.

BTW, I hope that Nikon does continue developing F mount lenses...I don't see the single-digit-D cameras being displaced by mirrorless. The fact that they've released at least one new design this year(the 500mm f/4 PF) looks promising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.