Start Screen Saver Hot Corner Stopped working - Odd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by z400central, Jul 9, 2008.

1. z400central macrumors regular

Suddenly stopped working. I have checked and changed my corners, but the start screen saver is not working. I've even tried changing my screen saver.

Running latest version of leopard.

Weird!

Thanks!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Have you repaired permissions through Disk Utility and done a restart?

Usually that helps when my Mac has odd issues.

3. dmarnel macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing. I use to have to enter my password when my screen blanked because the screen saver would have been active and required it. Now I can just hit the shift key and awake my MBA with no need to enter a password.

After I discovered this I tested my hot corner to see if that would trigger my screen saver. No luck there. I went into screen saver preferences to make sure nothing had changed. Nothing had. Weird.

Also running latest version of Leopard: 10.5.4

4. micheleberg macrumors newbie

Start Screen Saver Hot Corner Stopped working - Odd

I'm having almost the same issue. My hot corners no longer work to activate my screen saver. I've tested the hot corners with a different command, and they work, so the issue is with the screen saver. I've tried several different screen savers, and none of them work.

I've tested the screen savers, and they activate when tested.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My hot corners stopped working as well several months ago, but all my problems went away after I updated OS X. I'm still on 10.5.3 right now because, quite frankly, I don't trust Apple updates. :p

If it ain't broke......

6. micheleberg macrumors newbie

Start Screen Saver Hot Corner Stopped working - OddI

I updated as well, and it fixed the issue.

A fried suggested that when an update occurs, one's permissions are fixed as well, which may mean that the above suggested fix was correct.

Either way, it's working again!

7. mmatyas macrumors newbie

mmatyas

no hot corners, no screen saver at all

I have the same problem running 10.5.4, but I've had it for a while. I've tried running standard Apple screen savers, my own photos, etc. After a reboot everything works for 1+ days typically and then suddenly with no discernible reason, I can't launch screen saver. I can't even launch it as an app, let alone using hot corners. It's a problem because I work in an office where PW protected screen savers are a security requirement. I've rebuilt permissions files and done an archive and reinstall.

8. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I also ran into the situation of hot corners not working anymore... The solution for me was to change the screen resolution to something smaller, and then back to maximal. Everything worked fine then...

9. chasbutt macrumors newbie

Got mine to come back to life...

I had the same issue. Mine came back to life when I navigated to /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/Current/Resources and doubleclicked on ScreenSaverEngine. This started the screensaver (which I have password protected by corporate edict). The hot corner then started working again. Doesn't explain why it dies, but gets it working without a reboot.

10. erdomi macrumors newbie

Is there a solution to this? I have updated everything there is to update and would like not to have to reboot to fix this issue.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A more "sure" way to make it happen is to turn on Keychain Status in your menu bar.

/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app -> Preferences -> Show Status in Menu Bar.

Took me a little getting used to, but it's my preferred method of screen locking now.

EDIT: Silly me, I just assumed that everyone used the screen saver lock to protect their Macs.

The screensaver setting is housed in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist, a shotgun method would be to nuke that .plist and re-config. Of course, then your whole Dock is nuked, which sucks.

The primary keys in the .plist that are effected by making changes are: wvous-bl-corner, wvous-bl-modifier, wvous-br-corner, and wvous-br-modifier. If your Dock is funked, a simple logout and login may fix the problem.

Attached Files:

12. doray macrumors newbie

Screen Saver Not Working After Transferring to Laptop

My favorite screensavers -- World Book and 3D Weather Globe by Software MacKiev -- were no longer working properly after I transferred from my Intel Mac to a MacBook Pro. (They'd work only when testing within System Preferences, but not otherwise.) I *finally* discovered the problem: the laptop was set for automatic graphics switching (in System Preferences, under the Energy Saver tab). Once I unchecked the box, they worked properly again!