start syncing with a different computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sinomac, Dec 30, 2010.

1. sinomac macrumors newbie

I currently sync my iPhone with my Macbook. I want to change that, and begin syncing with my iMac. How do I go about doing this without losing any information off of my iPhone? (both computers are signed into the same iTunes account).

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

First make sure that all of the same apps/music/movies etc from your iPhone is on your iMac, then just plug in your iPhone to iTunes on your iMac and click Sync, you will be notified that the information on your phone maybe different from the information on your computer, and then it will ask you if you want to:

"Replace" the data from your phone so that it matches the data of your computer (contacts, calendars, notes, bookmarks), if your iMac doesn't have any of your contacts, then it will delete them off of your phone.

or

"Merge" the information together from your computer and your phone (this option is best so that nothing is deleted)

and as long as the same apps/music/movies etc are on the iMac, nothing will be deleted from the phone, but for example, if you have angry birds on your phone but not on your iMac, the app may get deleted in the process.

the first sync may take a few minutes because your iMac is going to create a new back-up of your iPhone.

before doing any of this, make sure you back up your phone on your MacBook first, just in case.

3. sinomac thread starter macrumors newbie

I have transferred anything that was on my iPhone that wasn't on the iMac to the iMac (music and apps). However, I'm still nervous that the app's data will be deleted when I start syncing with the iMac. (I'm not concerned about contacts and calendars, as I am syncing that over the air with MobileMe).

How about this: can I transfer the iPhone's backup file from the MacBook to the iMac and then use the iMac to restore that backup to the iPhone?

4. X2thaP macrumors member

If you just connect your iPhone to your iMac, then right-click it (in the left column) and choose to make a backup, it will create a backup of your iPhone as it is at that moment. So no need to transfer backups from one computer to another. I did this before syncing when I switched from iMac to MacBook and it works.

So what saving107 says, is correct. And as he/she stated: make the backup first before syncing the first time, just to be sure.

5. sinomac thread starter macrumors newbie

I threw caution to the wind, I guess -- and went ahead and synced. As long as the backup was on the Macbook, I figured I had nothing to lose. My big fear was NOT realized, so that's good (all the data in my apps were unaffected).

The only thing that was messed up was the folders on my iphone. Most of the apps were taken out of their folders, giving me about a dozen pages or more. There was still five or six folders -- each of them having, at the most, 2 apps. No big deal, it gave me a chance to a bit of re-organization.

All in all, it was a happy ending.

6. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

It's kind of a hassle but I believe the original data has to be on both computers otherwise it won't let you sync all the same information as a security issue against piracy.

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

That seems kinda odd. I mean how would you put the apps on the new computer when the new iphone hasn't been on it?

I would think that more likely you just have to have the same apple id on your itunes.

I mean I just connected my iPhone to my new MBP when I got it to get it to sync to that. I think as long as the itunes account that itunes is set to use is the same it shouldn't be a problem.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I upgraded to SL for the 4 (don't even get me started on that) and just backed up and restored my computer, everything was exactly where I left it. If not, can't you just grab the backups for your old computer and throw them in the backup location on your new one?

9. Raj24v macrumors member

Dd you right-click 'Transfer Purchases' before you sunbird to your new iMac?