Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacl87

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
My chyme is out of control. It's quite or loud regardless of my volume settings. Don't really understand what determines its sound..

Is it supposed to be the same volume every time? Sometimes I don't even get one.. I know someone will suggest to reset the pram, and that will probably fix it, but I still wont understand..

Any explanations? Do other peoples chymes act like this?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I think if you hold down the mute button while it's starting up, it'll mute the chyme. Not 100% certain whether this still works or not, but on my old G4s it used to!

zacl87

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Cheers for those. Still not sure why it's different every time though; suppose it doesn't really matter.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
From Wikipedia:
Chyme (from Greek "χυμός" - khymos, "juice") is the semifluid mass of partly digested food expelled by the stomach into the duodenum. In other words, chyme is partially-digested food.

That's gross! How do you clean it up? ;)

I decided to look in here to see if you noted where you're from. But then, that spelling of "chime" doesn't seem to be a proper variant anyway. Catch you next tyme.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
From Wikipedia:

That's gross! How do you clean it up? ;)

I decided to look in here to see if you noted where you're from. But then, that spelling of "chime" doesn't seem to be a proper variant anyway. Catch you next tyme.

LOL! I had no idea my Mac is actually puking every time I start it. :D

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Seriously though, the chime does mean something. It means that the computer has detected that all the necessary components are there to start itself - the chime is different if there's a problem, and the computer probably won't start up. It's just a way of knowing the boot (start-up) went OK.

JAVK

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Seriously though, the chime does mean something. It means that the computer has detected that all the necessary components are there to start itself - the chime is different if there's a problem, and the computer probably won't start up. It's just a way of knowing the boot (start-up) went OK.

Thanks, thats good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.