Start up disc full, and I can't open disc drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by klyshis, Apr 3, 2009.

1. klyshis macrumors newbie

My G-4 startup disc is full and now the computer won't start up. I am told to put a startup disc in the drive and restart from it, but I cannot get the disc drive to open. I have tried everything, including copying over to external hard drive. I read that if you hold the mouse button down, the disc drive will open, but this hasn't worked. Any input appreciated!!!

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

3. klyshis thread starter macrumors newbie

not a slot drive

It is a G4 tower, it comes out of a door, not a slot.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Is there a small hole on the front of the tower? You could push a paper clip in there slightly and see if it manually ejects the tray

if not do you have access to a external USB / Firewall CD drive You could try booting from that

5. klyshis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply . . . I have tried the pinhole, and I have tried "rebooting" by hooking my laptop up via firewire. I still don't know how to startup from the firewire. I was able to transfer some files, but I don't have access to the startup disc. Any ideas.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If your wanting to start from another drive other then the internal HDD Press and hold the option key. The mac will try and find all available bootable devices

7. klyshis thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that but I still have the question mark flashing