start up disc full on new computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newto mac, Aug 12, 2014.

1. newto mac macrumors newbie

I just recently got a macbook pro and for the past two months I have been getting this alert that says your start up disc is full. I have pictures on here but not enough to create a storage issue (I took it to the geek squad and they told me that). The geek squad recommended I delete everything and reformat but I am hoping not to do that. Any idea what could be taking up so much space.
    Additionally I have had the white screen after start up issue. I have been able to hit the option-command-p and q button to solve this but not sure if these two issues could be tied together.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Run something like OmniDiskSweeper to see where all the space is being used.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "the white screen after start up issue"?

3. newto mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have enough space to download the omni or any other program. Any ideas how to delete files from the other section? I have deleted my trash bin, downloads, etc.

As for the white screen it happens after I login as myself. Just goes completely white sometimes . I have had to take it to best buy one time but most of the time it will recover if it do the control-option-p-q

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

1. Make a backup.

2. Repair disk permissions. (In DiskUtilities)

3. Reboot into recovery. (hold down command and R at startup)

4. Reinstall the OS.

5. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

A friend had the same problem (minus the white screen) and I freed up 30 GB space just by deleting unneeded files in documents and all my files.

I'm sure you can find some files to trash so you can download omni sweeper? Backup first so you won't totally lose any files you may want back.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

None of this makes sense.

Though folks like to trash Geek Squad, but even an idiot would have found some room, or not.

The OP says he can not download anything, and can not delete anything. Really. Everybody has something they can delete.

And, the title says NEW computer. The problem has been going on for 2 months.

?????

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What does your storage graph look like (Apple Menu>About This Mac>More Info>Storage)?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do a command-r boot into recovery and from there use Disk Utility to run repair disk on your drive. Does that show any errors?

Then boot back into the main OS and enter the command below in Terminal. You will be asked for your login password and the command will take a couple minutes to run. This will list all the base folders and the size of each folder in GB. Copy/paste the output of that command back here and we can take a look at it for you.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

9. Milad macrumors newbie

i've the same problem on start up disk space, and my storage graph shows "other" about 76% of the total HD

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That graph pulls data from the Spotlight index and if that index is corrupt the data will show wrong.

Run the command below in Terminal and wait for Spotlight to reindex then check the storage graphic again to see if it looks correct.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /