Start up disk full?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jlyons, Dec 16, 2008.

1. jlyons macrumors newbie

I got a message saying that my "start up disk is almost full". What does that mean? What do I do to empty it?

I also used the activity monitor to check my disk usage and found about 450M free, and 111G used. That doesn't make any sense.
    Can anyone help me.

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

There maybe some files that uses a lot of spaces. Try looking through any folders that are not in any usage and delete them....Some files you may not even know what it is could also be taking a lot of spaces..You should do some cleaning..

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

What doesn't make any sense ? The fact that you get a warning with 450mb left or that you should have more than 450mb left in the HDD ?

Have you restarted your computer recently, you might have a lot of things in the swap (part of the instructions for an app go in the ram, the rest in the swap). Maybe some apps didn't empty that properly. Firefox for example can take gigs of space just in virtual memory.

450mb, is a small amount of free space for a start up disk, btw.

4. jlyons thread starter macrumors newbie

It says that I only have 450MB of free harddrive space. I haven't loaded that much onto my computer.
    I did a re-start and the same thing is there.