Start-Up Disk is full on old MB, what to do please?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JackRabbitSlims, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JackRabbitSlims macrumors member

Hi,

I have an old black MacBook which has my entire iTunes library on it and is linked to my iPod Classic, it also has a substantial iPhoto library.
    Specs: -2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, running OS X 10.6.8

I have been away over seas for the past 2 years (with a new MBA :)) I have now returned and would like to update software, load new music, sync with my iPod, download photos etc.

When I attempt any of the above I am informed that the Start Up Disk is Full and I need to clear some space!
    How do I go about doing this without jeopardizing my Music and Photo libraries?
    Ideally, I'd like to keep the old MB for iTunes and photos....I have a whole heap of new CD's here that I want to load on iTines and sync with the iPod before heading away again.
    I can't download new software or use a cloud facility either..running OS 10.6.8!

Can anyone help me out with this issue please?
    Do I need to get an external drive and transfer everything off the MB??

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I would suggest getting an external drive and transferring what you want too keep (iTunes, photos, etc) onto the external drive.

That's just what I would do..

3. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply.

do I need a Mac specific external drive? If not, can you recommend one please?

I'm worried about transferring music to the external drive, then loading new CD's in iTunes, and then trying to Sync my iPod to retain the old music along with the new.

Will this a problem??

4. xpaulinax macrumors member

you can get any kind of external drive. you can buy one that's already formatted for macs, or if its unformatted you can reformat it in disc utility.

or if you want, you can get a new internal drive with more storage instead of using an external drive.

as far as music, just change the preferences in itunes to manual so that you can sync the new stuff. if you keep it to automatic after you've moved music to your external then it might delete the old stuff on your ipod.

5. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Great!! Thanks for the informative reply.

What about using a "Cloud" facility? is that worth investigating, or just stick with the external drive?

Buying and installing a new internal drive......is that an expensive / difficult process?
    I don't have an Apple store where I live btw.

6. xpaulinax macrumors member

you can use cloud if you want but i think its good to always have a hard back up of all your files on an external just in case something were to happen to your computer.

internal drives cost just as much as an external. i just installed a new one on my macbook, it was pretty easy. i followed guides on how to do it at ifixit.com

it's just up to you whether you want your files on an external, or get an internal drive with more space (or get both) and if you buy an internal, you'll still have your current drive too with all your files on it, but i think it might be harder to move files back and forth between the drives if you were going to go with the internal.

idk im tired so idk if im making sense here.