Start Up Disk Issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Traverse, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I recently installed a second partition (very small) with mavericks for testing purposes, but I have two issues:

Whenever I boot from shutoff or restart from either the test partition or my main partition it always goes to the test partition. How can I change this so my main is the default.

Also, is there a way I can stop making the two mount each other? In my main partition I see the test partition in the Finder. When I boot up the test partition it prompts me for the password to my "Machintosh HD" (which is encrypted on the main partition).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. hologram macrumors 6502

Go to System Preferences, chose Startup Disk and select your main disk as startup.

If both partitions are on the same disk, I don't think you can keep one from mounting, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. In order to mount it, it will want your password. Of course, once it's mounted you can always eject it.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Thank you.

4. hologram macrumors 6502

I didn't even think of this earlier, but if you don't want to enter the password every time you reboot, it's easy enough to turn it off in System Prefs, and turn it back on again when you want to use it.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Turn what off? FileVault? That takes too much effort.

6. hologram macrumors 6502

No, turn off the "Disable automatic login" option under the Security and Privacy pref. Then it won't require a password.

As for File Vault, I don't use it so I can't say.