Start-up Failure... what now??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by giovanni.apd, Feb 11, 2008.

1. giovanni.apd macrumors member

My MacBook Pro gets stuck on the start-up screen with the Apple logo and the loading wheel.

-I have reset the RAM using Apple-Ctrl-P-R during start-up.
    -I have reset the power-source by removing the AC cord, the battery, and holding the power button for at least 5 seconds.
    -Just to be sure, I also performed a defragmentation of the HDD last night, which have helped with other boot issues have had in the past.
    -Repairing permissions with the Leopard Install disc is not an option, as it is at home, across the country
    -I attempted to boot using my old Tiger install disc, but it sends me to the installer screen (figured it wouldn't work, just tried to be sure)

This problem started after using my MBP on battery power. I wasn't given a "low battery" warning. Instead, it shut down and hasn't been able to reboot into the Mac OS since. However, I can boot into Windows just fine.

I'm kinda freaking out, thanks for any help you can offer!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Have you tried removing your memory one at a time to check for RAM issues?

You can also try booting into verbose mode (hold "v" at startup) to see where your computer is hanging at during the boot sequence.

3. giovanni.apd thread starter macrumors member

haven't tried removing memory, i'd like to stay away from opening it up for as long as possible.
    In verbose mode, what do i do to find this information? how do I interpret it?

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

5. gregneedham macrumors newbie

you might try to start up holding down the S key and then, when and if it loads, typing in:

fsck -y

and hitting enter. This may or may not help, but it has been useful to me in the past.

6. giovanni.apd thread starter macrumors member

what does this do? Or rather, what do we hope this accomplishes?

7. akadmon macrumors 68020

It runs fsck.

Now don't ask me what fsck is, cos I just don't know. I think it's a low level system command similar CHKDSK in DOS.

8. giovanni.apd thread starter macrumors member

something to do with checking the disk then? better then nothing i guess. Maybe I'll try it once i get home.

9. akadmon macrumors 68020

I'm not a decoder of acronyms, but I suspect fsck is short for "file system check".

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is the command-line version of disk utility, but it defaults to fixing the hard drive it is run on. I would try booting from the OS X discs and running disc utility. Sounds like a permission problem or a bootx corruption.

Also, I don't believe that what you did reset the PMU. I'd double check apple.com/support just to make sure (usually you have to press a button on the motherboard).

TEG