start up help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imrtstc, Mar 22, 2010.

1. imrtstc macrumors member

I have been getting the "no" sign when i goto start up my mac. i put it in target disk mode to check it out on my laptop, now my laptop is doing the same thing! any ideas? ive searched all over. i can start in safe mode and when i run disk warrior to try and fix it just crashes. Do i have a virus?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

3. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

why would that happen to my laptop? i had my mac pro in target mode. i read somewhere that it might have something to do with safari 4 update?

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I don't really know, maybe it's just coincidence... Try that "Disk Warrior way" (if you got bootable disc with it), or boot from your OS install disc and try to verify and repair HDD. If it will not help, OS reinstall could be necessary (with zero out data - sometimes it helps with HDD problems).

5. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

ive tried the start up from os x disk and no luck. even tried to reinstall and no luck. its wierd that my desktop is doing it and now my laptop isnt it?

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

What do you mean by "no luck"? What do you get when trying to boot from OS X install disc? Could you write more detailed?

7. imrtstc thread starter macrumors member

it means ive repaired the permissions and disk but still get the no sign on start up. tried onyx and same thing.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

OK, you can also try fsck: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
    or boot from install disc, run Terminal and type:

fdisk -u /dev/disk0

This command should fix MBR of your HDD. It could help.

Do you have any Bootcamp partition on your drive?