Start up issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Outkast27, May 2, 2013.

1. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I formated and reloaded ml to see if it would fix my flickering issue, I think it might have. Anyways my boot up times are around 20 seconds, they use to be around 12. Also, my wallpaper has shown with no dock or anything else, I could not power down, it seemed stuck. This just happened about three times from restarting over and over to check out the boot up times. It also seems to take longer to shut down and Im seeing the spinning wheel when I power down, which I did not before. Are the latest updates of ml responsible for my longer boot and shut down times? Also, any one know why my dock or desktop icons did not load those three times?

2. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It seems like this is the answer to a ton of peoples problems. I guess because it's the most common part to fail...

Anyways weird problems like freezing and random stuff happening is usually the hard drive showing signs of death.

Got a backup?

4. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im backed up yes. Is there anything I can do to diagnose if the ssd is going bad? Or do I have to just wait till it dies?

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I wasn't aware it was an SSD. There is no easy way I know of that can detect if it's failing, usually you tell by problems like you described.

6. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that and it booted in 8 seconds, but then stayed stuck at rainbow pinwheel and no dock for about a minute and a half total time from powering on. Then When I power down it stays at grey apple shutdown screen with spinning wheel for quite some times. Other times shuts down quick like it should. I power up and power down over and over and always get different results in the same session.

7. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im sure I need to go back to the g bar again. I have a semi-provocative wallpaper and when I change it to anything else and shut down, the semi-provative wallpaper is back. How do I get rid of it so I can take it to apple? I dont want to offend any or whatever. lol

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Login and instantly hold the Shift key, is this making a difference.

You can change wallpapers in System Preferences>Desktop & Screesaver

9. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Held shift after log in, did not notice anything different.

The last 4 boots were ok, its just taking a bit at the grey screen with spinning wheel when i shut down. Can this be normal? Im use to it shutting down within a few seconds and no hangups....

10. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Last 2 boots took long time and I got it on video....Uploading now. This time the mouse cursor was just an arrow, not pinwheel.

----------

I booted and it stayed stuck without loading the os fully. It was froze for about 20 seconds before I pulled out my camera phone and filmed this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r15N0D72lkM

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

12. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks . running tests now.... what does it look like to you? What are the odds of apple giving me a different machine? Its had its issues in the last few months. New logic board. Its on 3rd lcd replacement.

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If it is Hardware related and it is the 3rd or 4th time ask for a replacement.

But, first run those tests, and later maybe a reinstall, if that doesn't fix it ask for a replacement.

14. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

15. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Now, you can do 2 things, reinstall on the internal or use an external Target to install to, for instance, install on a USB stick (Minimum 8 Gb) and boot from it, if all is well there it is your internal OS which is affected.

But, you could also download 10.8.3 combo installer from Apple's download section and reapply the combo updater, this is non destructive so all your data should be safe, but having a backup is always a good idea.

You could also do a reinstall over the existing OS without loosing anything.

Apple Hardware Test does a fairly good job but it is not 100% guaranteed to find all HW problems.

Have you tried to make a new User yet, if not I would suggest you to try that as well to see if the issues are prevalent there.

16. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I install the os onto a sd card and boot from that? What is a combo installer?

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The Combo Updater (Installer)

ountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo)

This is the (Combo) Updater which updates your System from 10.8.0 or 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 to 10.8.3, it does not matter which OS 10.8 version you have, it will always update to the latest version no matter what version of Mountain Lion you have.

SD cards are extremely slow, could work but I am not sure.

18. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

It said my 8 gb sd card needed 5 more gigs to install. I dont have a bigger thumb drive, so I can't try that.

Im about to install the combo deal.

I created a new user and same long start up times.

Here is another video I just shot, it is a little different on where it hangs, the white boot screen remains for longer than it should, then goes to apple boot screen. Then when I power it down after it finally booted, it hangs. It sometimes boots and shuts down perfect, but you can never time it. At times that I would guess it would take longer to power down when I have a lot of programs open, it shuts down with the quickness like 2-3 seconds. Other times it could be freshly booted, nothing running, and I power down and it hangs with the spinning wheel either on the wallpaper screen or they grey screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z438qAZR48

19. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Maybe the card is not really free of all data.

Didn't look at the video, I am on a capped internet, don't wanna waste it on videos if it is as bad as the first one.:p

Just see what happens first.

20. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I formatted the card, should be free.

I installed the combo, not changes.

21. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There's not much you can dpi except reinstalling the whole OS again, if problems persists it must be Hardware giving you these "headaches".

Now, you didn't really say but you installed that SSD yourself I guess, where is it located if this is the case and do you still have the HD available internally.
    It is a MBP, not a rMBP.

Edit: I had to go to another thread to see you have an rMBP, next time mention you're having one please.

22. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

its a mbpr, original ssd.

23. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, see above in my updated post, you should mention that right from the beginning.

Bring it back if you still have that flickering issue.

24. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I usually do, my fault.