Start-up Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caldavey, Dec 27, 2007.

1. caldavey macrumors member

caldavey

Hey,I have a Black Macbook with 2GB ram and I got this computer for christmas and the first time i opened it up, it went to the blue screen and it made the "HMMMMMMMM" noise like always but the Apple logo did not show up and about 2 seconds after that famous little noise, a very loud annoying "BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP" comes up and repeats until I turn it off. So i did and then i turned it on again and and it did the same thing, so i figured "O.K., I just need to plug it in". Then when i turned it on it did the same thing. So i let it charge for about 15 minutes and this time it worked fine. But this morning and yesterday some time, when i turned it on(it was being charged all nite so it had full battery) it did that damn little beep thing. Can someone tell me what this thing is? If anybody could please help me it would be much appreciated. :)

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Doesn't that usually mean there's bad RAM in it? Maybe you got one with upgraded RAM or something, and it's not liking it.

But if it's just regular stock model without any upgrades then um.... I don't know. Take it to Apple?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In the two instances I've had RAM issues I didn't get beeps. I got to enjoy a nice black screen.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I believe that page is simply out of date. Everything else at Apple's site points at blinking LEDs to indicate problems, but:

The "article" link takes you to the iMac tones.

I think they just haven't updated the page to reflect that it's other machines besides the iMac.

7. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Thanks everybody. When i just started up my computer to check this thread, the first time i pressed the power button, it went "HUUMMMMMMM" like it normally does with every mac, then nothing happened and i just got a blue screen. so i turned it off and i pressed the power button and it went BEEP BEEP BEEP thing so i had to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off, then i had to hold the power button for about 2-3 seconds and it started up fine. but im definately going to take my computer into best buy today or tommorow and they better fix the RAM or whatever it is or im going to talk to apple and return it or something but i am just pissed about it. Anyway, thanks for the help guys, and who knows, maybe they'll throw in some extra stuff for it...:)

Actually, I have one more question...
    Since my mom bought the ACPP for the macbook, the total came to a little over $2,000. And the MacBook Pro costs about $2,000 as well. So, could I return this MacBook and the ACPP to Best Buy for full amount and then spend the extra $118 bucks to get the MacBook Pro, or will they not let me return the ACPP? If they will, then WOW, thats definately worth the money.
    All Help Much Appreciated!! :)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That depends entirely on how Best Buy wants to handle this repair.

Did you purchase it at Best Buy and get AppleCare?

9. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Yes, I did buy both at Best Buy. When I asked my parents to buy me a macbook, I didn't think that they would get the ACPP, which I don't even think covers spilling or droppage, but they did and I was actually disappointed because the could have bought me the MBP for the same price (not to sound like I'm spoiled) but anyway, they did buy both at B.B. so hopefully they will take both back full amount and I will be able to purchase the MBP (hopefully through Apple).
    Which brings me to one more question :)
    If I don't buy it through Apple can I still go in and have them look at it since I am there customer?
    Thanks for all the help!

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your warranty coverage under AppleCare is provided by Apple and authorized providers no matter where you buy your Mac.

11. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Cool, that's good to know.
    But do you think that I can return everything to B.B. so I can get the MBP and be completely happy (knocks on wood)? I mean I have everything that came with it, no scratches on it, just a couple of things here and there on the HD, which I'm sure you can just delete and never think about agian.
    Thanks!

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Like I said earlier. That's up to how Best Buy wants to resolve this.

You can probably return it if you make it within the 14-day policy. I'd look it up first.

13. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

OK I will. Thanks a lot.
    Actually, I just checked it out and it said that I can return it but there is a 15% restocking fee on opened notebook computers. But it also said that it does not apply on defective items sooo... I don't know I'm just talking to try and get it out of my head. Thanks a lot guys.