Start Up problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stibby, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Stibby macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 13 inch I bought in 08 (black one). On start up I get the logo and that is about it, it doesn't go past that. I booted it in verbose mode and it says loading drivers but stops about 5 lines down and says:

Error reading PPP.Kext

What do I do?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Can you boot from the OS X disk which came with your Mac?

3. Stibby thread starter macrumors newbie

I have install disc 1 and 2, that's what I got with it

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Stibby thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok it says my HD is fine, I rebooted it and it still says error reading file PPP.kext

6. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm having boot problems too (didn't want to start another thread right next to this one).
    Like the OP the HD on my girlfriends MacBook intel core 2 duo is fine, I can boot it as an external firewire on my own MacBook and see all the files pefectly fine. I have checked it through Disk Utility in Firewire and it says everything is fine. i have tried all the methods in the guides posted above but am still getting the the spinning startup which, if left for 5 minutes or so, switches to an empty pale blue screen.
    The install disc won't load up either, they just spin out, trying themselves three times before ejecting.
    I have tried the cmd-s startup also but am not enough of a tech head to decipher the report. Numerous "fails" are mentioned but I'm not sure if they're relevant:
    GFX0: family specific matching fail
    display: family specific matching fail
    AppleTyMCEDriver: probe fails

Is it possible to try a reinstall through my MacBook with her's in firewire mode? I might try that after backing up her files.
    Any ideas?

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

My recommendation is boot from Install DVD, back-up data to an external drive and do a clean installation from the DVD.
    Or go to an Apple store and ask for assistance at the Genius Bar.

8. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

yes, that's more or less the plan but the install DVD will not mount in the malfunctioning macbook. Is it possible to re-install from the DVD through my macbook onto the malfunctining one if it is mounted via firewire?

9. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I would believe your plan should work, but honestly I have never tried anything of the sort.
    But backup your data anyway, especially iTunes and iPhoto Libraries.
    Btw, in your case the malfunction hints at a system update that was interrupted improperly.

10. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Ah! I never thought of that, I'll have to ask her. She has an appointment at the genius bar for next monday and I'm backing up as I type.

11. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I got the faulty MacBook fixed.
    On the downside my MacBook is now showing huge range of permission errors in disk utility. have repaired numerous times but nothings shifting :confused: