Start up problems, won't load OS!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eagle897fan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. eagle897fan macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my friend gave me his old macbook, (due to it being broken) and he got a new one. But the problem is with the broken one obviously.

The problem is when you turn it on the apple logo comes up first thing and then, nothing... It has been left alone for 24 hours and never loaded the OS.
    I was going to take it to the closest mac store near me but I won't be able to until next weekend. I was wondering if anyone has any idea's as to whats wrong with it before I drive all the way there and then probably spend money for them to even look at it.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try booting up into the install DVD and repairing the hard drive using Disk Utility which is in the utilities menu.

if you dont have the install disc try runing "fsck". theres a guide on how to do this in the sticky at the top of the Mac OS X thread.

3. mcr29 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem on a one year old iMac 20" 1GB 250 something (sorry, I'm not not good with all the specs). I was on the internet and it froze. I shut it down and turned it back on and now it's just the blue screen with the logo and the spinning wheel. PLLLLLLEASE tell me I didn't lose my data. :( I'll be going to the apple store tomorrow but if anyone has some comfort for me I might sleep better tonight.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

sounds like your hard disk is dead :(

5. eagle897fan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I took mine to the apple store and it has a bad hard drive... I just ordered a new one today, thanks guys!