Start up/shut down - windows like speed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac2thefuture, Aug 9, 2007.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

:confused:I'm still quite new to the mac way of doing things - and i'm damn sure i'll never return back to the dark side. When i bought my lovely new iMac in Jan i was blown away by the speed in which it shut down and booted up. Now - since i've been in this magical world i have d/loaded prob loads of crap and to be honest i'm not really sure where it all went but now my start up and shut down is windows like. TBH i usually put it to sleep but a weekends i like to do it a favor and shut down altogether - Does anyone know/suggest methods where i can regain the speed and again show off to all i know. Since i bought this baby i have doubled to ram to 2gig so although it d/loaded loads i thought it may have started up just as quick.

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

start up speed is pretty much dependent on how fast the comp can read the whole HDD.

it does sound like all that crap is the reason why it's so slow...what u need is one of those programs that searches your HDD and clears everything u haven't used, or haven't used in ages

or to get the best results...back-up everything u want to keep and reinstall tiger...then u'll be back to square 1 :)

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

reinstall, crikey that seems a little harsh - amy one know what these programs are called which inform you of applications never/hardly used??

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

From the Finder File Menu select Find... (or CMD-F) or New Smart Folder. Criteria are: KIND = Application, LAST USED Before date. This will give you what you are looking for.

Also go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and see how much stuff is set to boot at startup.

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

Run all the maintenance scripts using OnyX

Please let us know if it helps. :)

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

how long exactly it takes to start up? to shutdown?

I don't think its possible to avoid slow down after long period of usage. It might not worth re-install OS, which, may I say, is the last solution for any OSes.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As well as /Library/StartupItems.

8. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks to all, doing a combination of all has brought the pace back - cheers.
    :)