Start-up Sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Newmacer2, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

Just installed the latest update on my iMac. Now, all of a sudden, that annoying, wake up the whole house, start up sound is back. Sounds like a frustrated organ player. I eliminated this wonderful feature right after I bought my iMac years ago, but I forgot how I did it. Can anybody help please. Thanks in advance.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

1) Open Terminal
    2) Type in sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80
    3) It will prompt for your password. You won't see the characters as you enter them, so you'll have to type it in 'blind' and press Enter. If you don't have a password, this won't work.
    4) Restart the machine.

3. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help. It's always frustrating when Apple tries to take over my computer and makes decisions for me. Just sayin'.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2016 ---
    It worked!!! You're a genius. Thanks again.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Just note that the startup sound signals a particular stage of the boot cycle. Make it quieter? Sure. But if you eliminate it altogether you may run into extra challenges someday if the Mac needs troubleshooting. Booting to Recovery, Safe Boot, resetting NVRAM/PRAM... all of those keystroke combinations (and many others) need to be entered in the moments between the beginning of the startup sound and the arrival of the gray screen.

5. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

So noted. Thanks, but I think I'll take my chances. I don't always remember to turn my sound down and that loud, obnoxious sound sent me straight to the ceiling this morning. I'm 71 and could have a heart attack just signing on. Thanks again.

6. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

I think it is time for a new startup tone. I miss the 90's when they were always changing. It gave the machines a personality. The Quadra 800 with the PPC 601 card in it was my favorite. I think the 840av used it. The current sound is getting old.

7. chscag macrumors 68000

LOL, at 71 give thanks you still have good hearing! Lots of folks your age walking around with hearing aids. :rolleyes:

8. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I have hearing aides. They were very expensive so I keep them safely tucked away in the box they came in on the top of my desk. Can't stand to wear them.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Too funny! Another current thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/startup-chime-stopped-working-10-11-6.1985251/

10. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Came here to make a similar comment.
    The startup sound is an inherent part of the Mac experience . Love it.

11. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

That strategy has saved many a marriage. =)

12. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Good point! I couldn't afford the ones you can turn off or down. So I just put them away.

13. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If you shut off your sound before you shut down by pressing F9, you will not get a startup chime when you reboot.