Start up time with Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sdahe, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

Before I had Leopard install my start up time in my MBP was 35 to 40 seconds... now with Leopard is 1 minute and 5 seconds... Why?...

What can I do to improve this?

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have the same computer and my install of Leopard over my Tiger install is fine. My start up time is usually less than 30 seconds:confused:. Can't help you.

Did you archive and install? Maybe try a clean install of Leopard

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I did a clean install but I guess I'll have to do it again...

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I did a clean install when I recieved my MB to save some space and the usual startup time to desktop is around 40 seconds?? However, I have a few items to open at login to save me the hassle so once they're all done its usually about a minute and a bit.

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I just updated Tiger to Leopard and iv'e had no problems at all... boot-up takes less than 40 seconds at the most.....

6. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I plug the computer and now the start up time was 34 seconds... wow. Is this normal?... More than 1 minute to start when is not conected to the electricity

7. unity macrumors 6502a

If the power adapter is not plugged-in the processor may default to one core or reduced processor speed.

Also, if you take out the battery, the same thing.

This is not a Mac thing, its a laptop thing. My friends Dell does the same thing, but he runs at half speed if either is missing were are the Mac seems to do so only if the battery is out (except for boot up).

So all I can say is I believe its normal.

8. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Those are good news... I won't have to re-install Leopard again

9. theman macrumors 6502a

i did a fresh install a couple months ago, and the startup is slightly slower, but its the shutdown that's bad. i was impressed with tiger shutting down almost instantly, but leopard hangs on the desktop image, then goes to a blue screen, then sometimes sits on a black screen for a minute (although this only happens sometimes) before turning off. at least i rarely have to restart.

except i'm now getting kernel panics (azureus???) oh well. there are still some bugs with programs that need to be worked out, what can you expect?

10. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

~30 seconds, give or take a blink of an eye. Beats the pants off of Vista.

Leopard, 2.8 aluminum iMac, 4gb.

11. rhyndu macrumors regular

My leopard start-up times on MB 2.0 White No Santa Rosa are really good... I get the apple with the octupus under it for about 20 seconds and then it takes me directly to the login screen.

Has the "Mac OS X is starting up with the scrollbar" screen gone from the hard-disk/Intel version of Leopard? Its still there on my PPC iMac G5 (I know... and it is 15" too :))

12. unity macrumors 6502a

There simply is not one in 10.5 at all, Intel or PPC. Even my eMac @700MHz with 256MB of RAM does not have it.

13. iBunny macrumors 65816

My Boot up time is 2x Longer when I have a USB external HDD plugged in - Always.

I dunno why?

14. rhyndu macrumors regular

:cool: Wierd. I could have sworn I saw it sometime on my old G5! I know it is on the Leopard DVD though...

15. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I have a SCSI card in two of my Macs, and when I have an external SCSI hard drive connected and turned on, the boot up time is somewhat longer. Same thing with an external USB HD. But with a Firewire external HD, the boot up time is not affected.

16. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

External hard drives and boot camp partitions slow down boot up. This is because it is searching for boot-able drives on the disc, etc. Hope this helps.:apple: