Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sTcA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Does anybody know if and how, I can set a password on MacOS X ? I mean an effective password not only by disabling Automatic Login, but one at the really beginning of the booting of the machine.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does anybody know if and how, I can set a password on MacOS X ? I mean an effective password not only by disabling Automatic Login, but one at the really beginning of the booting of the machine.

AFAIK Apples boot password is only applicable when trying to change boot sources. I don't think it will ask for the password to actually boot the system like some PC's would.

sTcA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks. It actually might work as, if I well understand, the only way to turn around the password set disabling Automatic Login, is to boot form another disk and with the utility mentioned here it is impossible to do that.

Is it so or are there other ways to access to the computer also with these two security features activated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.