StarTech Launches New DisplayPort and HDMI Thunderbolt 3 Mini Docking Stations

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

StarTech today announced the launch of a new line of bus-powered Thunderbolt 3 Mini Docking Stations designed to be used with the latest Apple Macs equipped with Thunderbolt 3 support.

StarTech is offering two TB3 dock variations -- the Mini Thunderbolt 3 Dock with Dual HDMI, priced at $183, and the Mini Thunderbolt 3 Dock with Dual DisplayPort, priced at $164.

[​IMG]

With the dual HDMI dock, two HDMI monitors with 4K resolution can be connected to a Mac, while the dual DisplayPort dock allows two 4K DisplayPort monitors or one 5K monitor to be connected to a TB3 Mac. Each dock comes equipped with an integrated 20cm Thunderbolt 3 cable and because they're bus-powered, there's no need for a power cable.

[​IMG]

Both of the docks are small in size making them ideal for use when traveling or in spaces where desk real estate is limited, and both come equipped with a Gigabit Ethernet port. The HDMI dock features two USB-A ports (one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0), while the DisplayPort dock features a single extra USB-A (3.0) port for plugging in peripheral devices.

StarTech says the two new docks will be available for purchase soon through Amazon.com, Newegg.com, and other retailers.

Article Link: StarTech Launches New DisplayPort and HDMI Thunderbolt 3 Mini Docking Stations

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Is anyone else irritated that the docking stations only started to flow in earnest when Thunderbolt 3 came out?

Those of us who have older Macs with Thunderbolt 1 and 2 can't use these stations.

They're finally getting more flexible, and in many cases, more affordable, and we have to upgrade our Macs if we want to use them! D'oh.

3. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

I think there are some TB 1 and 2 hubs.

The reason they took off with TB3 I think is because TB 3 equipped mac laptops have no legacy ports, while all TB 1 and 2 laptops do have a (great) selection of legacy ports.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

This is why I am not usually mad when a company cuts off support for old products. Internal cd drive, aux ports, VGA support. Though it can be annoying it does help the growth of other great ideas and products. To be one of the first to move onto the new tech can be a pain though.

5. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

I can tell you I purchased the OWC USB C hub and it ended up being trash. When the Mac went to sleep the drives would all eject. OWC tried to tell me "Macs don't need to sleep anymore" and "if you leave your Mac for a few minutes, you should just turn it off." Basically, I shouldn't have been upset my drives ejected upon sleep.

6. Altis macrumors 68030

Who would need those old, legacy ports?! :eek:

Oh right... tons of people.

7. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

The transition has had painful moments, that's for sure.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

It would have gone more smoothly with some of those dinosaur ports.

You know, the ones that are still on nearly everything still sold, even years later. ;)

9. mikecal macrumors newbie

Actually, I've been able to make a TB2 Macbook work fine with a TB3 Dock using the Apple TB3/TB2 Adapter + Apple TB2 cable:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m

It's an extra cost but it makes the dock investment worth it as you can keep it when you later upgrade to a TB3 Macbook.
    Unfortunately, this solution won't work with this particular Startech model as the TB3 cable seems to be attached to the dock.

10. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

Oh, good call. I forgot about using adapters to go from TB 1 or 2 to three.

11. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

This is something I was looking for back when the new MBPs were released in 2016. Better late than never. Sad that getting dual display output out of thunderbolt 3 is so expensive.

12. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

13. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Dual 4K at 60hz on a single USB-C sounds interesting. Hope this works well on a 13” 2017 MBP.

14. campyguy macrumors 68040

Not me, I realized around 18 months ago that it's all about economics with PC hardware. Go through some of my posts over the past year, I offered that there'd be plenty of TB3 devices on the market once Intel eliminated the royalty for TB after 1/1/18 - the Intel TB "tax" was IMHO the only real barrier to getting TB on mainstream computers, and I anticipated this bit coming. I've already purchased an iMP and a few cables and peripherals, just in the past 10 days and started jettisoning my older hardware which should make my accountant happy at not having to carry over old hardware year after year. My GF went to CES this year with some friends that work in her field - digital video - all of them were buzzing about TB pretty much being everywhere, and the same goes for NAB. Her next birthday (June) is going to be REALLY expensive for me this year.

Yep, my last two purchases were a StarTech dock and a StarTech USB-C>DP cable. I trust their products to just work.

My only irritation? That it took Intel so frickin' long to get TB costs to a realistic point with no added royalty costs... :oops:

15. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

Those would be great with (optional) power pass-through.

16. eddjedi macrumors 6502

Several major issues with this. Firstly, no power port. The whole point of TB3 for me was to enable a single cable setup. Secondly, only one USB 3.0 port? So this is basically a glorified display adapter. Again, I want ONE dock for everything. Finally, $160+ for a dongle? Good luck with that :D

17. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

My ideal dongle would be:

3x USB-C ports (1 of which is power pass through, the other two would be for attaching a camera memory card reader and an external SSD drive)
    1x USB 3
    1x 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    1x HDMI

18. mrzz macrumors regular

too short cable for laptop usage I would say, you will have cable clutter as well as this device laying very close to your laptop

19. manu chao, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

manu chao macrumors 603

Macworld counted five TB 1 docks in 2014 (Belkin, Caldigit, Sonnet, StarTech, Matrox) and eight TB 2 docks in 2015 (OWC, Belkin, Caldigit, Sonnet, StarTech, Kanex, Algato, Akitio). We might have more now but I think what gives you the impression of more TB 3 docks now is that USB-C docks have joined the fray. Though, the dock in question here, is something new in being (one of) the first TB3 'mini-docks' that doesn't offer a wide range of ports for the trade-off of being smaller and cheaper.

20. LRB55 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2018 ---
    My old Dual Display Port stopped working with the most recent MacOS upgrade and the manufacturer claims that Apple has caused the issue. Can anyone advise if this one is functional under the upgrade.

TY

Les

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Ports: $3
    Electronics: $1.50
    Casing: $$0.50
    Retail price: $183

22. WoodpeckerBaby macrumors regular

WoodpeckerBaby

Bandwidth doesn’t add up to 40 gbps
    Well that’s capitalism
    That would require 2 TB3 busses, only MBP 15 touchbar can support that
    Older macs have adaptors, not hubs, they don’t support this kind of bandwidth.

23. mkoesel macrumors 6502

Agree. As is, this dock will still require the use of two ports to run a typical dual-monitor ("legacy", non-TB3 monitors, I mean, which many people still have) MacBook Pro setup. One for the dock, one for power. In that regard, its not much better than my current solution which is one of these:

https://www.startech.com/AV/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-displayport-adapter~CDP2DPUCP

And an Amazon USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable. It is slightly better in that, by connecting the power supply directly to the Mac, you get the full 81W power delivery (if you have a 15") instead of being limited to only 60W on the dongle. That's of no consequence to me because my machine is plugged in for plenty of time to charge it back up fully after use away from my desk even at the lower wattage.

Of course this new dock also gives you an ethernet port and USB 3.0 port which is nice if you need those too. I don't but I'm sure many do.

24. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Buy the Caldigit TB3+ dock, if you need one. The rest are crap in comparison.
    And it's on deal at the moment too.

25. Kier-XF macrumors newbie