starter package - good deal?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Grasbak, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

i would like to get into photography - general pics, landscapes and some wildlife. I was thinking of getting the Canon D1000. Scanning the internet, there doesnt seem to be many savings around.

It seems recently Canon have pushed up the price (from £350 to £400) - the kit lens changes from the IS version to the non-IS. I popped into my local currys and they found one of the old IS version about a 20min drive away.

They also have some deals running. I have a couple of questions:

1. is the IS version better that the non-IS?

2. For £477 I can get the IS Canon 18-mm plus tamrom 70-300 and a 4gb card. Seems pretty good. Just need a bag, so I would be looking at £500. I am thinking this would cover all my needs to start with. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yes, by leaps and bounds. The IS version is a very capable starter lens. It is much sharper than its predecessor, and having the IS is extremely helpful if you won't be using a tripod a lot.

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I agree, I think especially for someone starting in photography having the IS will allow you more degrees of flexibility and won’t tie you down to a tripod.

4. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems a shame they have removed it from the std kit now!

Cost savings I guess.

Do you have any thoughts on the other other lens?

I guess I am getting it for about £100.

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

The tamron will be *OK* none of those cheap 70-300mm zooms are great but can take good pics if you're careful.

Generally the mfrs own lenses are better - Nikon's 50-200mm VR and whatever the canon is called... 50-250 or something. But they cost more.

6. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the help. Took the trip to get the IS 18-55. Must be one of the last ones out there! Got the tamron 70-300. Felt like I couldn't refuse for the price.

Now to take some pics!