Starting a site!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by papadopolis1024, May 25, 2007.

1. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

I want to start a blog and know nothing of web disign all I have found a URL. But I need to have atleast 2 email addresses. Any tips or ideas for me.

2. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Three things you need to do:

1) Design the site. If you are a beginner, iWeb would be a good place to start. RapidWeaver is also good for beginners.
    2) You need somewhere to store your site, therefore you need to find a web host. TJR Networks is good. I haven't used them, but A Small Orange also seems to be a popular option.
    3) You need a domain. GoDaddy is the best place to get one.

Alternative, you can do as psycoswimmer suggested and use a tool like Blogger until you have learnt the basics. :)

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Yeah, you're definitely going to want to start with something like Blogger. Look up some iWeb tutorials / tips to help get you started with your own site.

4. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have had a .Mac account at one time. So I have used iWeb before I just want to know how to publish to my website from iWeb (does apple have a tutorial for this?) and how to get email set up on it.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

this completely depends on your host..

6. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

well I guess I would buy URL from godaddy.com but I will use an old powermac or iMac sitting around as the server.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

I'm not sure this is such a great idea, particularly if your IP address changes often and you're not technically inclined...but if you insist...

Mac OS X comes with Apache, a web server built in. Which is all you need to serve iWeb generated pages (dump them in /Library/WebServer/Documents).

Not sure if Mac OS X comes with any mail servers...if it doesn't, you'll want to look into sendmail - http://www.sendmail.org/

If the computer is too old to run OS X reliably/fast, either get a different server or see if it's possible to throw another OS on it (like Ubuntu or FreeBSD).

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

the best way it to save it localy then upload it to the host via ftp. :) :) :)

9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I second ASmallOrange.com

When ordering... say you were referred by spacemagic.co.uk ;)

Hehe. They are really good.

10. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

You just put somthing into my head..... I am on cable internet so my IP changes all the time. Also I was going to put Ubuntu server on it, It CAN run OS X (its an old B&W) but I think Ubuntu would be better dont you?

11. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Beter to use a real linux server like Suse. Ubuntu is for kids.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

oh sheesh, no. if you're seriously going in that direction, neither opensuse nor ubuntu are "real" linux server distros, they're both for kids. and to go further, novell can suck a nut for all i care. i don't prefer to use ubuntu, but given that ubuntu server edition has a one click lamp install and that it has probably the biggest community around, what's not to love about it?

however, when you compare both to mac os x on a way slower machine, both are probably going to be better in every way...

now if you want a real server OS, go use freebsd.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I definitely agree here. FreeBSD is very capable (been using it as a server for years).

I fail to see the attraction of Ubuntu. It doesn't do anything that I can't already do on any other distribution. Maybe if I were a newb, I'd better understand, but I've heard seasoned *nix people praising it...dunno why. I'm happy with Slackware and the BSDs (I've Net-, Free-, and Open-BSD machines on my LAN as servers). When Ubuntu does something that I can't do with my currently deployed boxes, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well given the technical limitations of the OP, I figured Ubuntu would be a safer choice than *bsd. Big irc channel, large wiki, large forums...easy to use and install whatever you need..you get the idea.

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use CentOS, Solaris or FreeBSD. SuSE is hardly a server OS.

16. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

17. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

^ Just what ever I want to talk about that day.

Anyway. I was looking around diffrent places for info on this and I watched this video (yes I know I want a blog and this is for a video site but how diffirent can it be right) but yahoo site builder is only for windows dose anyone know of another (free) software that I could use for my site (I will prob just get it from yahoo)

18. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

if you use a service like livejournal.com or blogger.com they have layouts and all the programming done for you. All you have to do is write your blog. Might be good starting points - especially as they're free!