Starting all over...again.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JReynolds, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro. I previously owned a MacBook and have a bunch of personal info and preferences on it. I used migration assistant about a month ago. It worked pretty well but some of my apps weren't there or weren't functioning well. My new MBP seems like it is unorganized.

I want to erase my HDD (just install OSX again, right?) and start fresh. Is there another way to transfer my info over to my new MBP? Maybe pick and choose EXACTLY what I want transfered... I don't think migration assistant gave me an option to select individual apps.

Thanks for the help

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The migration assistant will migrate all what the users you select during the migration process will be migrated to the other Mac, therefore everything inside the user's home folder will be moved: Burn Folder, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites.
    Just be sure that the applications that you ant to use in your new Mac are fully compatible with the Mac OS X version you have in your new Mac.
    Sometimes a software update is needed, or a new install of that particular applications is also required.
    But in general it works fine.

3. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a way to have migration assistant transfer a virtual machine? I have XP and Vista running via VMWare fusion. I also have parallel 4 to run them if that makes a difference.

If I just shared my folders from my old MB to my MBP could I drag and drop apps into my apps folder? I know I can do this with iPhoto and iTunes. :confused:

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Those are Apps and they should be transfered by the migration assistant, as well as the virtual machines you have.
    But if you have boot camp partitions I think the migration assistant can't handle them.