Starting All Over for my iMac 2008

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrghoo, Sep 6, 2011.

1. mrghoo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been a "vanilla" mac user for the last three years. I just use it to do some writing, music, do some basic photo and video editing. My kids as they are growing up, use it to do their term papers. However, a few things have happened in the last 9 months and I would like some advice on how to proceed.

My System
    =======
    iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.8 GHz, L2 Cache 6MB, RAM 2 GB.

My problems with the iMac
    =================

Was foolish enough to forget about getting apple care :(

(1) The DVD writer does not work anymore. Now it won't even read any disc. Periodically, it eats the CD and arbitrarily releases it. (Yes I read the forums and tried every trick the users recommended and to no avail). I want replace the DVD writer. I know it's expensive but it's cheaper than getting a new iMac. Any recommendation as to what's the best type of place to take it to and get this done is appreciated.

(3) I have made back up of the user accounts (not using time Machine) on an external drive. The external drive is a 500GB by Hitachi. I used the software that came with it (for the mac of course), and created backups of all the accounts. I want to be able to do a reset on the iMac similar to the iPad or the iPod where they do a reset to factory settings. My questions are:

(a) Is there a way to do a "restore factory defaults" on my iMac?
    (b) If there isn't, then what is the best way to do this?
    (c) I have upgraded Leopard to snow Leopard (yes paid for the upgrade).
    If I were to do a reset, will I lose the upgrade? I mean how would I upgrade it to Snow Leopard (since I did the upgrade online and not have CD's for that..Gosh I sound old school).

This is my first post on here and I hope I have not broken any rules. I apologize if the questions are too simplistic in nature. I hope to get some good guidance from y'all.

-J' Meister!

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could buy Lion from App Store and create a bootable USB disk. I have the installer on my external HD so it's always available. That also allows you to perform a clean install.

4. iqwertyi macrumors regular

I just did a complete reinstall on my iMac yesterday, so I hope I can help you with some of these questions.

First off, I installed Lion. Mine came with Snow Leopard, but I got Lion from the App Store and made my own USB installer following these instructions:
    http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive

Now, If you downloaded Snow Leopard, I'm guessing there's a similar way to get Snow Leopard on a disk.

Once you've created your bootable USB, plug it in and when the computer is starting, hold the "Option" key.
    This will give you the boot option to boot from the USB.

I then selected Disk Utility and "Erased" the main partition.

Exit Disk Utility and go install Lion on the main partition.

Note that iLife will need to be installed separately.