Starting Blog, is iweb what I should use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crazychile, Nov 9, 2007.

1. crazychile macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry if this is too much of a stupid newb question...

I need to start a blog and am wondering if iweb is what I should use or if I should look at something else. I want to have a simple blog that will be hosted by another company as a .com site, not a .mac. The Blog will contain a chronicle of events including attached documents and photos supporting the events. I'll be looking to have other people in my area post something on my blog if they had a similar experience.

I'm looking for something simple and functional as I dont have a lot of time to develop this. I'll probably add new stuff to the site everyday.

Is iweb right for me or should I look at some other program? I'm a recent switcher to mac but I have used MS Frontpage in the past so web design programs arent totally new to me.

Thanks in advance,
    crazychile

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like one the the free blog sites would suit your needs just fine.

blogger.com
    wordpress.com

3. crazychile thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I just looked at those and i think i need something that looks more professional. I guess I need a decent website foremost, but that also contains a blog.

I was just looking at some of the services that one of the hosting places had. I could do an easy set up site that contains a forum, or I could do a Blog. The only thing is if I do just a blogsite, I dont know if I'll be able to upload a bunch of documents for people to view. So maybe a website with forum capabilities might work for me. I need to research this some more.

Thanks for the info. More comments are welcome

crazychile

4. Patrick My macrumors newbie

You should first buy web hosting and a domain. You can then use WordPress to run your blog. WordPress can be downloaded at http://wordpress.org.

5. crazychile thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so the more I look at wordpress the more I think I want to go that way. The only thing is that not all hosting services are compatible. The hosts that wordpress recommends look good, but theres not much in the way of an easy set up website using premade templates. Does anyone know if wordpress will work if I choose godaddy.com as a host?

Or maybe I am back to using a host that wordpress recommends, and then using iweb for the general design. Do you guys think that will work?

Thanks for everyones help!
    crazychile

6. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

my photography blog is wordpress, and my hosting company is dreamhost. It was really easy setting the site up, because in the dreamhost control panel you can simply do a "one click install" and dreamhost installs it on your site for you within minutes, and there are plenty of ready-made wordpress templates to choose from. Sounds like you should go this route, if I were you...

7. crazychile thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

I get the part about Wordpress being easy to set up when you use one of the approved sites. I guess I should have been more clear about this.....I want to have a normal website first and foremost, with a section of it as a blog. The main focus is the website and its basic content. The blog is a lower priority. Again, I want to be able to design my website quickly. Some Hosts have free web design templates, but I dont see that with the approved Wordpress hosts. So if i decide to go with the Wordpress approved hosts, should I use iweb for the primary web design with Wordpress as an add on or is this not possible or the best way to do it?

Thanks, you guys rule,
    crazychile

8. morphodone macrumors member

If you want to use static html, then any webhost will do fine.

But for more complex things like blogs and forums you'll need
    a provider that allows mysql databases.