Starting e-commerce website in China... any advices?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SHNXX, Nov 5, 2014.

1. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I am starting an e-commerce website in China.

I've examined piggybacking from the popular, existing e-commerce websites but unfortunately it won't be possible because the products being offered are service products and they're not very well suited for existing e-commerce websites such as Taobao, Meituan, etc.

I don't have a computer science background but can program a little bit in MATLAB and have been picking up CSS/HTML/Javascript and PHP to start the website myself.
    However, the aesthetic and functional requirements dictate that it's better to have this be done by a professional, rather than hacking it myself.

Does anyone have any experience hiring web developers/web designers?
    I'm looking to have a website that features some searchable database (e.g. mysql/php perhaps) and simple, fluid, modern aesthetics a la airbnb.com.
    Obviously to create a professional website like airbnb.com is not something that can be outsourced easily, or even done by one person even if competent in my opinion but I'm hoping that something resembling airbnb.com is possible either through finding a capable person or learning things myself.

2. milenadimova macrumors newbie