Starting Firefox freezes menu bar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tomb01, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Recently when I start Firefox the menu stops responding to clicks. Even the apple icon does not respond. if I bring some other program to the foreground, any program, the menu bar including the apple system icon come back to life. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, but no change.... This used to work, not sure I did anything unusual. Initially I thought it might be the istats menu program, but uninstalling that had no effect either. It is only the left side of the menu bar....

Any suggestions? I'd simply switch to Safari, but I don't know how to get my passwords and bookmarks over to Safari....

Thanks in advance.....

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You need Xmarks. Sync your stuff to Xmarks and you can take it over to Chrome or Safari at will. I would never run any browser without xmarks. I never want my stuff held hostage by any particular browser. As for firefox freezing, I suggest you wait until it eventually responds, add the xmarks add-on, create a profile and send your stuff over to xmarks. You can then add xmarks to safari or Chrome and bring your stuff back and never have to run FF again. I stopped running FF when it started crashing and freezing way back on version 4.something. I haven't used it since though I have heard Mozilla made some memory management improvements, every time I've given it a try it has disappointed me hence I continue to use Chrome and Safari.

3. Tomb01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Someone in the Apple forums suggested I create a new profile, which resolved the problem. Moving over to the new profile was pretty painless, just copying a few files, and TWA (Trouble Went Away)!

4. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Had the same problem. Creating a new profile doesn't help/solve the issue.

I'm using Firefox 9.0.1

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I had this odd problem. It's caused by corrupted History entries. The solution is to do the following, assuming you don't mind losing History and use Firefox Sync:
    1. Clear History only (in Preferences -> Privacy -> Clear Recent History)
    2. Reset Sync (in Preferences -> Sync)
    3. Overwrite your Sync data with what's on your computer.
    Once I performed these steps, the problem went away.