Starting Fresh help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Soura2112, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2008
    I have always cloned my hard drives to keep everything the same. I have decided I do not want to clone whats going on with my current Mac Pro (2005). Just to many problems going on, and I don't want to mess up a brand new Mac Pro.
    There is a lot of stuff I do not want on my new Mac Pro, and I have not updated much since intel took over because I simply can't.

Is there a way to start fresh while brining in some applications? Just trying to avoid the cloning. Plus I am not even sure I can clone a 2005 to a 2010 with all the Intel stuff.
    Starting new will be nice, everything has just become a mess.

Thanks for any advice or links.
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    You could just reinstall the apps, it shouldn't take that long.
  3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Nov 30, 2008
    2005 Mac Pro? There is no such thing.

In case that your "Mac Pro" is a PowerMac G5 (which is more likely considering the year), cloning wouldn't be an option anyway (PPC/Intel).

Other than installing all your applications, you could try the migration assistant first. However, I never had luck with it.
  4. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2008
    What I was thinking

Thanks. I typically do call it a G5 but left it out, figured people would get the same idea.
    I had a previous post up regarding the cloning with intel, then recalled it was not possible. I just need to make sure all my loops for music apps I use get transferred, pics, movies and movies are simple anyway.
    I just want to find the absolute best way to transfer the above with out loosing anything. It will be tedious I'm sure. I was a noobie with the G5 so im sure there's stuff hidden by accident and stuff I don't want at all anymore, why I would want to clone even if I could.