Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 4S jailbroke with Absinthe 2.0.2, on iOS 5.1.1.

I'd just like to start fresh, all the back from a factory restore, but I don't want to have to pay for my apps again, and since this is my first restore and jailbreak, I'd just like to know how I can make sure I won't have to pay for my apps again after a restore.

Ideally I'd just like to go into the app store after the factory restore and re-jailbreak and re-download each app I want to have manually, directly from my iPhone. But I've heard of people getting charged for the apps again.

I've also heard of right clicking your phone in iTunes and selecting "transfer purchased apps" but on my iTunes I currently have 100+ apps, that I have previously removed from my iPhone and I wouldn't want those apps getting back onto my iPhone, and I'm not sure if you can select which apps you want to transfer?

I'd also like to save my contacts, but that isn't too much of a big deal.

Basically what I want is to restore my iPhone to factory settings, re-jailbreak it using the latest absinthe, then re-download/install the paid apps I want that I've already purchased, without having to buy them again, and restore my contacts from somewhere, somehow...

If I can I'd like to do this without doing a restore from backup, because that would defeat the purpose of starting completely fresh...

Could somebody walk me through this whole process please?

Thank you!

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 4S jailbroke with Absinthe 2.0.2, on iOS 5.1.1.

I'd just like to start fresh, all the back from a factory restore, but I don't want to have to pay for my apps again, and since this is my first restore and jailbreak, I'd just like to know how I can make sure I won't have to pay for my apps again after a restore.

Ideally I'd just like to go into the app store after the factory restore and re-jailbreak and re-download each app I want to have manually, directly from my iPhone. But I've heard of people getting charged for the apps again.

I've also heard of right clicking your phone in iTunes and selecting "transfer purchased apps" but on my iTunes I currently have 100+ apps, that I have previously removed from my iPhone and I wouldn't want those apps getting back onto my iPhone, and I'm not sure if you can select which apps you want to transfer?

I'd also like to save my contacts, but that isn't too much of a big deal.

Basically what I want is to restore my iPhone to factory settings, re-jailbreak it using the latest absinthe, then re-download/install the paid apps I want that I've already purchased, without having to buy them again, and restore my contacts from somewhere, somehow...

If I can I'd like to do this without doing a restore from backup, because that would defeat the purpose of starting completely fresh...

Could somebody walk me through this whole process please?

Thank you!

You won't have to buy Cydia apps again. App Store apps will resync as will your Contacts

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
You won't have to buy Cydia apps again. App Store apps will resync as will your Contacts

That's what I'm saying though, I don't want to resync all of my apps and everything else, only certain apps and contacts..? Thanks

ahmedfathy01110

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
From Itunes you should have something is called my purchases, but I'm not sure if you will have the option to select certain apps or you will have to restore them all.

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
From Itunes you should have something is called my purchases, but I'm not sure if you will have the option to select certain apps or you will have to restore them all.

I only have a 16GB iPhone, I most likely won't have room to restore all my previously installed apps... I think I have iCloud running too, does iCloud backup apps? Or just the app data? Is there any way to restore only certain data from iCloud too? I literally only want my contacts and certain apps restored...

ahmedfathy01110

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I only have a 16GB iPhone, I most likely won't have room to restore all my previously installed apps... I think I have iCloud running too, does iCloud backup apps? Or just the app data? Is there any way to restore only certain data from iCloud too? I literally only want my contacts and certain apps restored...

iCloud won't back up your apps, but It will back up the apps data. For example, if you have a game and you have high it will back the high score for you. you can restore certain apps not not all of them from apps store from purchased tab. Just put check mark on the apps that you would like to restore

regarding restoring certain things from icloud; when you do restore from icloud it restore the whole phone as I'm aware of.

regarding only contacts, you can back them up to google using import and export feature.

----------

I would prefer if you contact apple help line to ask them if there is anyway to restore only contacts from icloud or not.

imDanielWood

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
iCloud won't back up your apps, but It will back up the apps data. For example, if you have a game and you have high it will back the high score for you. you can restore certain apps not not all of them from apps store from purchased tab. Just put check mark on the apps that you would like to restore

regarding restoring certain things from icloud; when you do restore from icloud it restore the whole phone as I'm aware of.

regarding only contacts, you can back them up to google using import and export feature.

----------

I would prefer if you contact apple help line to ask them if there is anyway to restore only contacts from icloud or not.

Thank you, would I need to do the whole 'transfer purchases' in iTunes first? Then I'm guessing once I restore to factory settings I can plug my phone into iTunes, go to the purchased tab and sync them? Does it involve syncing apps to the phone? Because I have 100+ apps I don't want that I've already synced from my phone to iTunes. Or could I just remove them from iTunes, redownload the ones I want from in the purchases tab directly to iTunes, then sync the apps from iTunes apps tab to my iPhone?

I'm sorry but this is all confusing to me... Thanks again.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Could you please try to explain exactly how to do it? Thanks. :) I know it seems dumb but I'd just like to make sure. Thanks!

Why dont you go in to it and take a look yourself? People pointed you to the right direction but you never try it. It' not rocket science.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.