Starting G4 is tricky

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Patth9, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Patth9 macrumors regular

Patth9

Fortunately, the G4 does start, but each time I start/restart, I have to remove the main 3 pronged plugin and reinsert it. This is not a new problem, but it's time to fix it. I have swopped the cord several times.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Mirror Drive Doors G4? They have power supply problems that are really common. I've got a dual 1.42 that needs to be unplugged for it to start sometimes, and another that will only come on when hitting the power button on the display.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have an MDD like this also-mine is a single 1.25, but I think it's a problem that appears on all versions.

As said, it's likely related to a failing PSU. I've just been living with mine until the PSU does finally give up the ghost.

4. Patth9, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

Patth9 thread starter macrumors regular

Patth9

Opps! Sorry, meant to exclude Mac description. Yes, it's a Mdd and dual 1 GHz.

So, no easy fix, she said with hope? Good thing G4 sits on top of a desk and I can get at the cords easily.

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Have you tried?

What about replacing the pram battery? Usually start up issues are simple.

The MDD power supply is one where it no longer boots at all. So basically power supply failure. Unplugging sounds like a motherboard to power supply issue.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I replaced the PMU batteries in both of my MDD systems, and it didn't help the startup issue. It kept the machine from losing the clock settings of course, but thats it.