"Starting Internet Recovery", Command+R

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

So, I am trying to reset my MBP to factory settings. It's a rMBP running Mountain Lion. I booted it up, pressed command+r, and I've been waiting for a good 10 minutes with nothing happening. The message is:
    I'm not connected to the Internet. Is it supposed to take this long?

Update. Doesn't look good.
    [​IMG]

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're not connected to the internet and are attempting to do internet recovery? I would imagine that would take....forever.

3. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

That's the reason I'm recovering it. The computer is locked with a password. In order to get onto the Internet, I need the password since the network is encrypted.

4. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Happened to me too. I just had to give it multiple tries with different Internet routers. I live in a dorm, so it turned out my neighbor's internet worked while mine sometimes would work with recovery. Also, resetting PRAM helped a bunch for many. But since i had a firmware password i couldn't reset the PRAM. And to get rid of the firmware password, you have to go into recovery...So just jeep trying.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Wait... Whaa??

The computer password has nothing to do with the network encryption. All you do is type in the password of the network when booting into the recovery partition - I did it yesterday.

And why did you try and do an internet restore if you knew you weren't connected to any network? :confused:

6. fins831 macrumors 6502a

If I buy a new macbook, replace the HD with a ssd, can I do internet recovery, or do I need an in hand disk or usb of ML.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

8. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

Modern macbooks can access internet recovery with a blank hard drive.

I recently ran internet recovery to access disk utility when I had disk corruption, and realized I didn't have a recovery partition anymore. And before I realized I could plug in my time machine usb drive and boot off of that.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Modern Macs have this really neat feature hidden in the firmware where if the HD/SSD is blank or corrupted, it can download a OS X installer into the RAM and run it off that.