Starting Macbook Pro For The First Time Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shan21, Jul 4, 2008.

1. shan21 macrumors regular

do you have to put the power adapter on then switch it on or can you do it without because ive heard people had problems later on with it

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There should be enough charge on the battery to start it without the power adapter, but it's a good idea to plug it in anyway, to be sure. It shouldn't affect the MBP either way.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I plugged mine in when I first started it up...theres gotta be a first time, you should have no problem doing so...what have you heard?

4. kalex macrumors 65816

You should fully charge your macbook on initial charge after you open it. you should also do full charge/discharge cycles (3-4) to get the battery going 100%

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If the initial macbook pro setup was that trivial, Apple would have instructions taped onto the screen.

Plug it in as you please, its fine.

It already comes from the factory pre-charged (mine was 60% full OTB, new delivery to the store though).

6. billy12 macrumors member

Li-Ion/Li-Polymer batteries do not need to be cycled (except to reset the battery monitoring circuit - and even then, once is enough), and deep cycling should be avoided. See here:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

Preparing new lithium-ion for use

Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

8. !on macrumors member

have to admit, in my excitement i forgot about plugging it in first time & got cracking straight away with setting up the house wifi connection! tut tut. haven't noticed any reduction though, i'm happy with the charge i get now. don't worry about it. i like to give it full charge from nearly flat (right after the message appears about it running on reserve power) if i'm taking it out with me.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

don't worry about it...just take it out of the box and turn it on. No need to plug it in right away.

10. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

The battery on the bottem of the Macbook Pro and the Macbook has an indicator that lets you know the charge - anything more than a single light will be more than enough for the initial set up that runs.

It wil not harm the mattery in the slightest.