Starting MBP while lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FloEppo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. FloEppo macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I have a wireless KB+mouse and my MBP is connected to an external monitor. I wonder if it's possible to start (say via the keyboard) the laptop while the lid is still closed (not touching power button). I was looking to assign a KB combo but it seems I can't find it. Long story made short : is possible to start (not coming from sleep mode) a MBP using an external keyboard?
    Thx in advance.

2. starbait45 macrumors newbie

i have an external keyboard, bluetooth mouse, and external monitor hooked up to mine. a lot of the time i will leave the actual mbp closed, and just have the external be the only display. i can start the macbook pro while its closed by shaking the wireless bluetooth mouse, and yes, I THINK also by pressing a button on the keyboard. not definite on that, but for sure on shaking the mouse.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'd be very surprised it this were possible. The keyboard and mouse receive no power until the computer starts to boot.

4. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

EDIT: OH, never mind, you actually want to start it up while it's closed.... You can try doing scheduled power-ups, but that's not really a complete solution. Switching to USB kinda prevented Apple PCs from putting a power button on the keyboard like they used to.

Original post in case anyone needs this info:

Here ya go, full instructions here:Apple Support Article

Summary:

0.(optional) connect any BT peripherals (esp. mouse)
    1. Put MBP to sleep
    2. Hook up DVI/USB peripherals
    3. Wake MBP by pressing any key on keyboard (no mouse shaking necessary ;))

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Moving the mouse will only wake up a sleeping MBP... NOT power one up if it is turned off.

6. Brôtkvest macrumors newbie

Another angle

Hi!

I don't mean to get OT on this very interesting issue, so I hope that it is ok that I join in by asking a related question:

Is there any good docking solution out there? (I think that "dock" is the correct term in english?)
    I have been thinking the same thought about starting a MB/MBP while closed, and not just "waking" it.

I have previously used a Dell laptop with Dell's own dock for work, wich was really comfortable with an external monitor and keyboard, and a start button on the dock which started up the laptop while still closed). When leaving the desk I just "popped out" the laptop from the dock and put it in the case and I was ready to go for meetings or work out of the office.

As a part-switcher to be (getting a MBP, not for work though) I am very interested to hear if there is any similar third party product on the market, since I have not found any Apple docking product for MB/MBP.

Best regards,
    Brôtkvest

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

There are some third party port replicators that work with the MB and MBP. Since Apple does not offer a multi-function edge connector like most PC laptops have, they're essentially "U"-shaped devices that plug into all the Mac's ports and then plug your devices into them. When you want to take your MB(P) with you, you just "expand" the device to release the ports.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Short answer: no.
    Long answer: It doesn't seem likely.
    You open the mac. Press the power button. Close the lid. Wait for the monitor to get the signal.
    Is there something with the above steps that's particularly problematic? Too much hassle? If you fly with your Mac a lot, I can see where this could get annoying. Otherwise, there's hardly any reason to turn off your Mac (to the best of my knowledge).

9. FloEppo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well,it is not much hassle to be honest. Is just the fact that I am very used with docking stations,that's all. On the other hand, I don't like to leave machines too long on sleep mode (for no particular reason). Besides, when you first open the lid,start the machine,closing the lid the machine will go to sleep mode automatically,is not like is staying alive. But most probably I will get very used with it or buy a dock sometimes.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When I start my machine and close the lid, perhaps it is sleep mode that it enters. However, I usually think of it as the Mac's way of adjusting itself for external monitor mode. Someone who's technically knowledgeable can explain it better than me.

Slightly off topic: I used to use a PC. I knew it was bad to leave it in sleep mode due to memory leakage and all those nasty things that made me consider a Mac in the first place.
    I gave sleep mode a try after reading the forums. Also, it doesn't hurt that I'm an impatient woman and don't like the boot up process for any computer. With sleep mode, I press a key on my keyboard, type in the password, and my computer is ready to go. If I'm not using my external, I open the lid, press a key, and type in my password. Both are so very simple and save the time of a bootup wait.
    If you're paranoid about the memory leaks, you can do like me and restart every once in a while. Not necessary, but it makes me feel better. :eek:

Esther