Starting network programming on the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by johnki, Feb 16, 2011.

1. johnki macrumors newbie

For client-server interaction. No previous experience in network programming.

I'm just looking at options at this point. I'm trying to keep all of my code cross-platform so if anyone can recommend a cross-platform networking library and possibly some examples/documentation, or even tutorials, it'd be appreciated.

I've tried Googling it several times and mostly, what I get is .NET questions on other boards.

I've seen Mono a few times, though. What are other options? How does Mono compare to the other options?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. johnki thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks. The Wikipedia article seems to cover the need-to-know info as well.

4. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Don't want to scare you off, but once you've got a connection going if you are sending binary data you should be aware of byte order.

http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/multipage/htonsman.html

Don't be fooled by your x86 Mac and x86 windows machine and x86 linux machine all having the same byte order now. iOS devices still differ, surely many Android devices are running on little-endian processors, etc.

If you're going to transport only ASCII, etc. you don't have to deal with this, but it's something to be aware of.

-Lee