Starting New Company, What name?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chili, Jan 18, 2010.

1. chili macrumors member

Hey guys, I am starting an iPhone/Mac developing company and i don't know what to call it.

My name is Achille, like the greek hero Achilles, so i was thinking of calling it Achille's Heel, or Patroclus. But I need something catchy. Something from greek mythology would be cool...

2. darkmeton macrumors member

It means you have a weakness
    Patroclus was gay and didn't actually do anything in mythology except being Achilles best friend/lover.
    Try something like "Ulysses works" since Ulysses was the resourcefull guy of the Iliad, or "Ulysses' wrench", or something like that.

3. star-fish macrumors regular

I recommend sometihng that's easy to spell and won't return billions of more popular sites.

4. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

A name if important for being taken seriously in the market.

Too playful a name will hurt you, and you'll get sick of it soon.

When I named my company, it took me months, and I came up with the most impossible names. And went with a rather simple one.

Names won't get you business. Just pick one that is not bothering anybody or sound particularly bad.

Achille's heel is a synonym for a weakness that gets you killed. You will agree that's not a good idea for selling things.

Achill sounds fine. Go with that. But make sure nobody else has called his company like this. There's a business register and a register regarding business names.

6. jtara macrumors 65816

If you are forming some limited-liability entity (Corporation, LLC, etc.) the name you choose at the time or formation is really irrelevant, since you can always file one or more additional "assumed names" (also called DBA or "doing business as") for branding purposes.

(In California, in fact, you HAVE to file an assumed name, a step often missed by do-it-yourselfers. That is, say you file as a California Corporation as "XYZ Corporation". You ALSO have to file an assumed name statement with your county for "XYZ Corporation" or you can't legally do business under that name! Discovering this during incorporation is one of the reasons I recommend using a lawyer, and don't try to do-it-yourself or use one of the online mills. A lawyer will know these little details.)

If your will be perusing several areas of activity, and have no need to seperate legal liability and finances between them, you can use some nonsensical name for the corporation/LLC and file an assumed name for each activity.

Of course, you still have to come up with one or more names to do business under, which brings us back to your original question! :) But, at least, you don't necessarily have to make up your mind right away, or go to the hassle of changing it later.

Do check with your state to see if there is already a company with the same name, and check for availability of domain names if that is important to you. Think about how memorable the name is, how easy it is to type, how many characters, and how likely people are to have trouble spelling it.

I wanted a "retro 60's" name for my corporation, and decided to name it after some fad 60's dance. My first choice was LimboSoft, but decided that that had negative connotations, LOL.

Wound up with Watusiware Corporation. I get some interesting reactions on the phone.