Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Starting New Service on Original iPhone? Prices Stay the Same.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Tidbits confirms what most people expected, but its nice to get confirmation from AT&T.
The current 2G iPhone plans will continue to be available for people who want to start up new service plans with someone's old phone.
If you get an original iPhone (in sale, trade, or hand-me down) and decide to initiate new mobile phone service with AT&T, you will be charged the same rates as before. This means Unlimited Data and 200 SMS messages are still only $20/month for those using an original iPhone. The price and terms changed with the introduction of the iPhone 3G. iPhone 3G owners pay $30/month for unlimited 3G data and no SMS messages are included in that plan.

Article Link

greenyboy411

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
nice job ripping off the question i JUST FREAKIN ASKED on the forums
its cool though
its good for people to know

Comment

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Now all I need to do is find who's going to get my old iPhone.

Comment

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
iDoc with a "D";5691255 said:
no, not like the 3g model cause for the original iphone users payed retail value with no subsidies. You only need the data package.

Actually, that is false. Anytime you activate a new SIM is sign's up a new 2-year contract. Unless they are already an AT&T customer with a working SIM (and even then they can run into some issues) they will need a contract to use the phone or pay a premium for pay-as-you-go minutes.

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
California
I activated my hand-me-down iPhone after WWDC, and I can confirm this announcement as well.

I guess this means that if you get an iPhone 3G, you would have to pay for 3G data as well, rather than just sticking with 2G. I think I am definitely keeping my old iPhone and maybe will buy a new one some other day.

Comment

barddzen

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
Billerica, MA
Non-Sub 3G phone plan is horrible

Ok, so if I'm not eligible for an upgrade (as an existing 3G customer), have already been paying for unlimited SMS (on 2 RAZR's) I now have to buy the phone at regular price and have to pay $30 for data and get no SMS?

The screwy thing is I would be more than willing to pay the increased monthly to get the $199 price point, but not both.

...and the confusion and PO'd masses continue...

After wading through the miles of replies like this, I fail to believe that Jobs is blindly sitting in his ivory tower without pondering: WTF?

Comment

iMosaic

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Old phone bricked?

I'd like to know if I get the iPhone 3G and hold on to my first iPhone does the original get locked or can I use it as an iPod without phone service?:confused:

Comment

GreenFreaK

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd like to know if I get the iPhone 3G and hold on to my first iPhone does the original get locked or can I use it as an iPod without phone service?:confused:

You'll most likely be able to use all functionality, except for the phone part. It'll just say 'Invalid SIM" or "No Service" and that's it. If you start up your phone without the SIM inside, it will work for everything else but the phone. I just tested :)

Comment

IOIIOOO

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
What about for users who have a Family Plan with one legacy iPhone and one 3G iPhone?

From the looks of AT&Ts new pricing, we'll end up paying $20 extra on the family plan, which would be a $10 addon for both.

My wife accidentally broke her iPhone this week, and Apple wants $200 to replace it. We had thought about getting the 3G instead, but it looks like the 3G will up our cell bill by $50 ($20 more for the family plan, and $30 more for texting on the family plan). At that pricing, replacing the old phone will pay for itself in 4 months.

Comment

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Maybe not

What about for users who have a Family Plan with one legacy iPhone and one 3G iPhone?

From the looks of AT&Ts new pricing, we'll end up paying $20 extra on the family plan, which would be a $10 addon for both.

My wife accidentally broke her iPhone this week, and Apple wants $200 to replace it. We had thought about getting the 3G instead, but it looks like the 3G will up our cell bill by $50 ($20 more for the family plan, and $30 more for texting on the family plan). At that pricing, replacing the old phone will pay for itself in 4 months.

AT&T usually separates charges for each phone. I have a Family Plan for an iPhone and Samsung. The latter does not have the $20 data plan. Check with AT&T before jumping to conclusions.

Comment

IOIIOOO

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
AT&T usually separates charges for each phone. I have a Family Plan for an iPhone and Samsung. The latter does not have the $20 data plan. Check with AT&T before jumping to conclusions.

I'm just going by what AT&T says on http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp - where before they split out the iPhone charges, now they have the Family Plan as including two phones. Plus they show the only text option for the Family Plan as $30 unlimited. So even if they did charge less for the old iPhone, it would still be $40 per month more.

Comment

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I'm just going by what AT&T says on http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp - where before they split out the iPhone charges, now they have the Family Plan as including two phones. Plus they show the only text option for the Family Plan as $30 unlimited. So even if they did charge less for the old iPhone, it would still be $40 per month more.

But that is a Family Plan for two 3G iPhones. Similarly, the prior Family Plan (which is still offered) for 2G iPhones quoted the price with two of the same phones. As I said, the non-iPhone was discounted when the non-mandatory data option was removed.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.