Starting out... need some direction with camera selection and formats.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rychy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Rychy macrumors 6502

Hello!

I'm interested in getting into video/film... right now I mainly do editing with video others have taken. But I finally have some "spare" money to spend on my own camera. So I have some questions that I'd really appreciate some help with.

Is HDV or AVCHD better? AVCHD is the future, but many people still seem to prefer HDV. I know some like to use tapes over HDDs or flash memory. And to my understanding HDV isn't truly HD, correct? What about compression and editing? I do have a very capable computer, so I'm not really worried about AVCHD being resource heavy.

Tape or HDD/Flash Memory? I guess this kind of goes with the first question.

Good Starting Camera? I'd really like to use it as an amateur camera (or prosumer I guess) for developing skills and learning about cinematography and other higher production type of videos. Something as a learning tool I guess.

I'm pretty sure I want a Canon... HV30, HG20, HF100, HF11 (a little more than I want to spend).

Thanks for any help!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Each have their own issues and advantages. Both are very heavily compressed formats, although AVCHD is a slightly more efficient codec, but with HDV you have tape archiving built-in.

Any codec in use right now is not the future. The codecs of the future are in development right now, and when released, they will instantly be on their way to obsolescence.

Any video format larger than SD is considered to be HD. The use of the term "true" or "full" HD is merely marketing hype. HDV and AVCHD are on the low end of the HD format, being the most compressed and in the category of "consumer" video formats.

Yes, what about it? Did you have a specific question here?

Yes, it does.

-DH

3. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

Camera: I have a Canon HV20. It's tape based therefore HDV, not AVCHD. I love it.

Tip: always shoot in progressive mode when using HD. It looks richer than interlace. I do wish that there was a 50/60p option (nevermind slow-motion) for certain applications, but that's just too much to ask right now on a cheap camera.

Get a steadycam device if you plan on lots of camera movement.