Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
Have just submitted my registration for the iOS developer program but just wondering where to start with the whole developing process.

Are there any really good step by step guides available?

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
itunesU has some great classes to watch. MIT basic programming, Stanford IOS app development, and a class from a german college (RWTH Aachen, in english) on iphone app programming. Without your skill sets it's difficult to recommend a start. search the forum for the am i to old to start programming thread. lots of ideas there too.

giobox

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Have you read the FAQ? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/518968/

How do you best learn things? From a book? From a class? from videos? ...

Not knowing any of those answers I'd recommend the Stanford course: http://itunes.stanford.edu/

B

The Stanford course is great, but the level of assumed knowledge is pretty high, arguably too high for someone with no OOP experience. The conceptual complexity of the lessons ramps up very quickly.

I would recommend starting with Sam's teach yourself iOS in 24 hours (or an equivalent complete beginner text), then attempt the Stanford course.

Objective C would be a start.

Personally I disagree with this. Much of learning iOS development (or any other platform really) is learning how to use the frameworks/APIs. You should start to pick up Objective C as you do this.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
The Stanford course is great, but the level of assumed knowledge is pretty high, arguably too high for someone with no OOP experience. The conceptual complexity of the lessons ramps up very quickly.

I would recommend starting with Sam's teach yourself iOS in 24 hours (or an equivalent complete beginner text), then attempt the Stanford course.

Personally I disagree with this. Much of learning iOS development (or any other platform really) is learning how to use the frameworks/APIs. You should start to pick up Objective C as you do this.

Much of learning iOS is the frameworks, it's true. But you need to understand the language and it's design patterns before the frameworks will make much sense.

The OP needs to give us more about his/her background.

The answer will be very different if he/she has been programming in C++ for 10 years vs. never programming before.

charmofmaking

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
Welcome to my island! :D

I think :apple: should issue registered developers with a little badge, like the ones Microsoft used to give out for MCP etc, it could be a yin-yang affair with one little dude banging his head on the keyboard, while the other is reading a book sitting in zen.

Anyway back to your question, I would recommend the Big Nerd Ranch books. They explain the concepts well and include "for the curious" additional sections at the end of each chapter.

This forum holds a wealth of knowledge with some very experienced programmers willing to help but be prepared to show your workings out.

Enjoy!

Have just submitted my registration for the iOS developer program but just wondering where to start with the whole developing process.

Are there any really good step by step guides available?

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Welcome to my island! :D

I think :apple: should issue registered developers with a little badge, like the ones Microsoft used to give out for MCP etc, it could be a yin-yang affair with one little dude banging his head on the keyboard, while the other is reading a book sitting in zen.

Anyway back to your question, I would recommend the Big Nerd Ranch books. They explain the concepts well and include "for the curious" additional sections at the end of each chapter.

This forum holds a wealth of knowledge with some very experienced programmers willing to help but be prepared to show your workings out.

Enjoy!

+1 for big nerd ranch. their iOS book will recommend the Objective-C programming book for complete beginners. Good book and help forums. I did go over to the learning C the hard way, which then directed me to learning python the hard way. Very good instruction with those lessons as well.

http://www.bignerdranch.com/index

http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
+1 for big nerd ranch. their iOS book will recommend the Objective-C programming book for complete beginners. Good book and help forums. I did go over to the learning C the hard way, which then directed me to learning python the hard way. Very good instruction with those lessons as well.

+2 for the big nerd ranch books for beginners.

The objective C book is an excellent introduction to programming using Objective C as the starting language.

I would not recommend those books for more senior developers trying to learn iOS and objective C however. The Objective C book in particular teaches you programming from the very beginning. It moves much too slow for experienced developers.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) [Paperback]
Stephen G. Kochan

Can find on amazon for about $30 or on safari books (I ran through the digital copy on there)

Gave me a good base and the rest is history! :cool:

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
+2 for the big nerd ranch books for beginners.

The objective C book is an excellent introduction to programming using Objective C as the starting language.

I would not recommend those books for more senior developers trying to learn iOS and objective C however. The Objective C book in particular teaches you programming from the very beginning. It moves much too slow for experienced developers.

I agree with this. I'm actually on chapter 17 of the Objective-C book. Very good book. It teaches you some basic C stuff at the start and then moves over to objective-c around chapter 12.

I did start Stanford's iTunes U course for the Winter 2013 with Paul. As someone said it ramps up in difficulty very quickly and I was soon a little lost. I realised I didn't have a good enough grasp on the Objective-C language and was missing out.
Hence picking up an beginners book on the language.

I'm not sure if I am going to go back to the Stanford's iTunes courses after the book. I am also going to read the iOS programming books.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library) [Paperback]
Stephen G. Kochan

Can find on amazon for about $30 or on safari books (I ran through the digital copy on there)

Gave me a good base and the rest is history! :cool:

What was your level of experience, and how did you find the pacing in that book?

It always pays to be specific about the target audience of a book and how well suited you think it is to that audience.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
What was your level of experience, and how did you find the pacing in that book?

It always pays to be specific about the target audience of a book and how well suited you think it is to that audience.

I had messed with vb6 as a kid and java 1 in college so I knew the logic of programming but c in general was new to me. The first 10 or so chapters were not bad 11 and on were a little hard. I think I ended up doing the first 10 chapters about 3-4 times and the whole book twice. I'm still not the best programmer but having that base helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.