Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
tumblr_ly94t3PhvH1qig43xo1_r2_500.png

She stuck to what I'm professing. Don't let the media or food industry confuse you; it's all very simple when it comes to losing weight and working out. Just learn the basics.

Last edited:

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
You ******** me? that is like 120kg for 6'2" that is not terribly overweight... hell I'd love to be there instead of 65-70kg although ideally 95-105kg would be good... muscle not flab though :p

Just go to the gym and get a personal trainer who knows there stuff to give you pointers for a couple of weeks, that is what I am doing as sure advice from others is great but a professional is better imo.

Yeah.... My 120kg body is not even like Matt Stevens' body! Need to go down to 105kg or even lower, really.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Lose fat without muscle gain? :confused: Is your goal saggy skin?

The keys to proper fat loss...

(a) Free weights 3 times a week
(b) A balanced diet with a caloric deficit
(c) High intensity cardio (optional)

You certainly can expect to lose weight by sticking to cardio and eating less, but you'd probably achieve the acclaimed skinny-fat physique. You'll have no muscle because engaging in long periods of cardio will lead to that catabolic state that primarily digs into muscle for energy.

Free weights are good. You have to use them properly though. I see way too many people do stupid things at the gym. You see a lot of people use poor form to push more weight (ridiculously wide squat stances, limited range of motion doing dumbbell presses, just doing curls and ignoring the triceps which make up two thirds of the arm, etc), which is just really bad. If the OP is pushing it hard with weights, he should keep a high sugar snack around for post workout. A piece of fruit works quite well. I'm over simplifying this stuff somewhat.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Sure it is... what about those people who wear the big earrings in their ears. They're stretched permanently!

There is definitely a limit how much the human skin can stretch but I don't think being 280lb and 6'2" is heavy enough to make the stretch permanent. The skin may not adapt immediately but it will follow. Besides, loose skin is much better than loose fat, at least for one's health.

You ******** me? that is like 120kg for 6'2" that is not terribly overweight... hell I'd love to be there instead of 65-70kg although ideally 95-105kg would be good... muscle not flab though :p

Being ~100kg would already make you one hell of a bodybuilder. The heavyweight category for natural BB competitions tops out at around 95kg the last time I checked (may be federation specific). Seriously, building muscle is one painfully long job. You're lucky if you gain 10lb a year.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Sure it is... what about those people who wear the big earrings in their ears. They're stretched permanently!

My experience reflects what I read in that link. The more fat I burn (I alternate between building muscle mass and fat burning, maintaining my weight) and the more fat I burn, the less "saggy" skin I have.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Really shouldn't be a reason to stop yourself from living a healthy lifestyle.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Aye but it's all fat though! No muscle! :p

I'm about 100lbs overweight!
Still I don't consider that over weight at all... especially not at that height but then again you say it isn't muscle so it be different I guess :confused:

Learn the basics and go from there... also ask for a personal trainers opinion to get you started, they are great motivators :)
Uh ? 120 kg for 6'2" is a BMI of about 36. I was at 38.5 myself, and I can darn assure you that it is quite overweight.
Meh.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Still I don't consider that over weight at all... especially not at that height but then again you say it isn't muscle so it be different I guess :confused:

Learn the basics and go from there... also ask for a personal trainers opinion to get you started, they are great motivators :)

Meh.

Are you expecting body builder type BMIs here ? Normal people with >30 BMI are quite fat and overweight. I think if the OP was a body builder with very low body fat, we wouldn't be having this thread. ;)

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Free weights are good. You have to use them properly though. I see way too many people do stupid things at the gym. You see a lot of people use poor form to push more weight (ridiculously wide squat stances, limited range of motion doing dumbbell presses, just doing curls and ignoring the triceps which make up two thirds of the arm, etc), which is just really bad. If the OP is pushing it hard with weights, he should keep a high sugar snack around for post workout. A piece of fruit works quite well. I'm over simplifying this stuff somewhat.
Oversimplification is the starting point. But yes, even people who have been training for a couple years still don't know how to properly bench press. Full body workout, and quality over quantity are the important factors. Rippetoe's program is a great starting point.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Are you expecting body builder type BMIs here ? Normal people with >30 BMI are quite fat and overweight. I think if the OP was a body builder with very low body fat, we wouldn't be having this thread. ;)

As a body builder I don't even look at BMI as I would be considered obese. BMI is a great index for a couch potato but once you start working out, it is best to just ignore it and focus on how you look and feel.

Caloric intake and caloric burn are what you want if you are trying to lose weight.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
As a body builder I don't even look at BMI as I would be considered obese. BMI is a great index for a couch potato but once you start working out, it is best to just ignore it and focus on how you look and feel.

That's my point, I don't think the OP is someone for whom BMI isn't appropriate. Let's face it, the reason people dismiss BMI are based on very specific cases. For the general population, it is quite an applicable measurement (though BMI + Body Fat % is even better).

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012

Caloric intake and caloric burn are what you want if you are trying to lose weight.
Or you can go by body fat percentage...
4% to 8% = Ripped
8% to 12% = Fit
12% to 14% = Soft
14% to 18% = Some Chub
18% to 24% = Overweight
24% and Beyond = Obese

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Oversimplification is the starting point. But yes, even people who have been training for a couple years still don't know how to properly bench press. Full body workout, and quality over quantity are the important factors. Rippetoe's program is a great starting point.

Hehe.. it's worse when they try deadlifts. Form isn't always easy to establish on your own though.

Or you can go by body fat percentage...
4% to 8% = Ripped
8% to 12% = Fit
12% to 14% = Soft
14% to 18% = Some Chub
18% to 24% = Overweight
24% and Beyond = Obese

Those percentages would be higher for women.

Last edited:

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Hehe.. it's worse when they try deadlifts. Form isn't always easy to establish on your own though.
To be fair, it takes some time and "feeling it out" to actually understand the proper form. Guiding a novice to proper form is just one side of it.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Would you mind pointing me somewhere that shows the correct form for dumbbell presses? They're my fav, so it's kinda important that I'm doing them right :eek:

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Would you mind pointing me somewhere that shows the correct form for dumbbell presses? They're my fav, so it's kinda important that I'm doing them right :eek:

Here is a video that shows proper positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jM7eO5e5ms8

Most people bring their elbows straight out which is really wrong and will cause should pain if you are not careful. Keep the elbows in a little and use the chest more, that is what you are trying to achieve. ;)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Congratulations!
I have a pair of "Sketchers Go Run"
They make my feet happy (see my avatar-happy feet ahahah)

If I were you I would see if you can run for 12 minutes straight.
To quicken your recovery times get a hold of the beep test.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Thanks, looks like I've been doing them right all along :D

Always good to have a form check every now and then though

Form is most important. I see people lifting a lot more than they should on a normal workout and have poor form on top of that. Many times it ends up in nothing but injury.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

http://www.exrx.net had some decent gif animations. They seem to have updated it, and I haven't looked at the new ones. I'm not really an expert in this stuff. It's just that so many people do things that are terribly incorrect. What I mean is that it's easier for me to see when they're way off than when their form just needs a bit of tuning. The most common thing is that people do some weird stuff because they're trying to lift too much. As an example on deadlifts they'll put their stance really wide as they see power lifters do so in competitions even though the typical stance is much closer to shoulder width, or you'll see someone jerk or not keep their back straight. With deadlifts the lift part really comes from the legs channeled through the heels. The back plays a support role. You don't lift with the back. That should be obvious to anyone :p. Excessively wide stance lets you lift more weight even if it isn't good for you. That's why it's a common mistake.

With presses it's common for them to get the width and range of motion wrong. I mean you don't want to go back so far that it messes with your shoulders, but some of them really lack a range of motion. It'll just be a large amount of weight over a very poor range. Even if I'm not qualified to instruct them on how to fix it (and I don't say anything), it's obvious when something is that far off.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Bodybuilding.com has a massive video resource with pretty much any excercise you can imagine. They're also marked out of 10 for effectiveness, it's pretty handy. Good for learning proper form.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
There is no such thing as spot-fat-remover. Doing abs won't magically remove the life-buoy around your waist. We all have 6-pack abs but most of us have fat covering them. Muscle exercises (be that weightlifting, crunches etc) are never a bad idea but they don't really have a big effect on one's fat loss because they don't burn that many calories. Cardio is way more effective.

Shh, Thats what I tell people to encourage them to do Core exercises.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I do not want saggy skin afterwards - although I think this is a inevitable possibility because of my current size. I am 24 so relatively young.

The only part of my body I'd like to build muscle on is my upper arms. The thought of sit ups or whatever just really puts me off. You are talking to someone who currently does zero exercise. I am trying to improve and make a positive change in my life.

You should also aim to build muscle in your legs too, well actually, all over. Cycling seems to build up muscle in the legs quite well. I do a lot of squats and dead-lifts, though I must admit, I hate squats. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.