Starting time capsule over from scratch

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluesTank, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I recently had to restore my entire system from an old backup on my time capsule. Now it has two copies of my entire system however, since it thinks I have a new computer and did a full backup again.

Is there some way to reset it and do a full backup from this point on, and completely delete what I had before today?

2. DrZaius macrumors newbie

In the Time Machine preferences change your disk to None, format the drive, then re-select it as your backup drive.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The easiest way to format the Time Capsule drive, after de-selecting it as the backup location is to use AirPort Utility. After clicking on the disk tab you can choose to erase the internal drive of the Time Capsule. The secure multipass erases are up to you, but personally I wouldn't see the need for it unless you're particularly security conscious.

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

I also use this hard drive for movies and other data. Is there any way to only remove the backup files, and not everything else that is on there?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just delete them. The backups for your computer are stored in a .sparseimage on the Time Capsule drive, so you simply delete the older image and you'll be good to go.

jW

6. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Is that the ONLY component of the backups? Have you done this before yourself?

7. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

So can anyone confirm that the sparseimage will revert my time capsule back to new?