Starting to feel like I didn't Get a new phone..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macness, Oct 6, 2012.

1. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

"I've had the chance to use the iPhone 5 for nearly a week, and have been using it for nearly anything I can think of. Is it as futuristic or as exciting as the iPhone 4 or the original iPhone? No. Does this change the smartphone game? No. Other smartphones beat it on features here and there: if you want a larger screen, go with a Samsung Galaxy S3. If you want better battery life, go with a Droid Razr Maxx.
    But, if you want a great, all-around, beautifully engineered smartphone that covers all bases, here it is. Just like the MacBook is to the world of laptops, the new iPhone is one of the top three, if not the best-designed, smartphone around. It's better in all the important ways".

- Scott Stein (CNET)

So i've had My iPhone 5 since launch day and i'm starting not to feel like i got a new phone. I know I know, we've all talked about it. And no I DO NOT wanna go buy and ANDROID device.And Sure it's the "Best iPhone ever" But then again... adding any feature to an iphone would make it a better iPhone than the last. We should actually be comparing iphone to other phones not iPhone to past iPhone! The iphone 5 does everything i need it to do.. I just want to be excited again. Like for God sakes, at least if I could go with out a case it would feel like I got a NEW phone, but I can't even do that because it will scuff:( Anyway, I'm a huge apple fan and I dont wanna sound like i'm trolling. I guess I
    just needed to vent.

Anything would help. Make pass book a little more practical... maybe fix maps just a bit more (for now at least)... even a new and exciting apple app.. ANYTHING APPLE, for the love of God! lol

2. Bricks macrumors newbie

Bricks

Actually you don't really have a new phone. The iPhone 5 is new to me though, but I'm coming from a LG dumb phone. Super upgrade for me.

Maybe you should have waited for the next big thing.

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I think if you're waiting for the next big thing you might be waiting for a very long time. From now on it will be refinements as the original iPhone was the big thing.

4. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Well, any phone can scuff and get blemishes.

I also don't understand why you didn't read the reviews, check the phone out at the store before buying. It's known that there isn't any revolutionary software for the iPhone 5.

5. macness thread starter macrumors 6502a

macness

I knew what I was getting, trust me. Maybe I should go buy a bumper so at least I can see the back of my phone and tell its new. I DO love my iPhone 5 though:)

6. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

If you want a new phone, get any Android or BlackBerry or Windows device. Apple just isn't going to drastically change iOS into a whole new operating system... at least not now. We will need one in the future, but Apple has to tread carefully as to not alienate their current user base.

To be honest, I don't know what all the Android fans are harping about their OS being all that revolutionary either. I have a Nexus 7 which I love, but compared to the last Gingerbread (2.1? 2.2?) device I used regularly (Nexus One), the Android OS isn't all that different either from a few years ago... and what has changed was necessary because Gingerbread was super unpolished. If you want revolutionary, you probably need to look at BlackBerry 10 or Windows Phone.

In terms of the phone, the new iPhone is bigger (4 in. screen), lighter, faster (LTE+A6), thinner, and people are still complaining about the hardware? C'mon man.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I went from an iPhone 4 to 5, and whilst to some extent I do understand the point you're making, I disagree.

It isn't a drastic upgrade from my iPhone 4, but it just does everything better. I loved my iPhone 4 and was happy to see that the 5 was a more refined version with some great new features over my 4.

It does feel like a new phone to me and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I think change for changes sake is pointless.

8. megapopular macrumors 6502a

A bumper or one of these super thin cases that are see through might work well for you!

http://www.iphonecaze.com/iphone5/iphone-5-zero5-ultra-thin-cases.html

9. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Hardware wise.....I dig it. Thinner, lighter, faster, new connector, headphone jack on bottom, black anodize band around the phone:cool:

Software wise......Same OS from 2007 (Literally) which is a downer. Like they mentioned in reviews, apple still makes you jump through loops to turn stuff on and off. Which at times can be silly.

(Pet Peeve: Even though they implemented attaching vids/photos from within the email app, it still has loops to go through to get it done lol....long press the screen, select photo/vid, and then your in the camera roll) simple attachment icon?

I'm not an android nerd, but with each major android update, I can see/feel the difference between the new OS from the previous OS. iPhone you definitely cannot see the difference. Apple sticks to "Under The Hood" type of updates. Which is good, but at least give some visuals so consumers feel the OS isn't getting "stale"

Any who........who am I to think out loud :rolleyes:

10. jumpmandds macrumors regular

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

Build quality is way better than 4s
    Camera is a lot better

Don't listen to the bloggers

12. darster Suspended

The user experience is never going to match the hype and excitement waiting for your phone to arrive. Once it arrives and you use it for a week, the newness wears off as you return back to your everyday routine life.

13. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

Get one of the clear cases from i-blason or switcheasy. I love my white in them. Almost like not having a case on it

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPhone 5 is so light I keep checking to see if it's still in my pocket. The audio quality has improved. The screen is a lot easier to read, not because it is taller but they did something that improved the color brightness and contrast. All combined, I'm using the iPhone 5 a lot more than I used my 4S. Where before I would reach for my iPad when I wanted to read something, I now reach for my iPhone. For me, it's a great improvement over the 4S.

16. apierrec macrumors 6502

iP5 makes me happy and make my day everyday so far.

Coming from an iP4, can't wait to bring iP5 around the world and document my travels!

Good luck!

17. mykem macrumors regular

I'm hoping that most at Apple are smart enough to believe that any improvement they make is for the love of consumer, technology and money. God is not even a consideration.

18. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

Exactly, we all knew pretty much a month or so before the event what to expect from the iPhone 5 via leaks and reports; and AFTER the release we've had reviews, breakdowns, tear downs, and the whole nine to come to our own conclusions. We all KNOW what the iPhone 5 is and what it is not, and having the best device all around is certainly good enough for most people. Those looking for something revolutionary from something that was obviously evolutionary from the jump will be disappointed, but its not as if this is a big surprise