Starting to get worried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sptz, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Sptz macrumors regular

Hey, I have a MBP 15" 2.4ghz, and I have Leopard since the day it came out, now like 2 months ago or something my MBP was giving me the "Please hold your button to restart your computer" message, I think it's a Kernel Panic right? Every single day, this happened once or twice... I then decided to format the HDD and did with Zero out data to really make sure everything is well rid of and well installed, so I installed Leopard again, and today I was just listening to a song on myspace from a band and boom, it happened again... should I take it to the apple store?

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

That definitely sounds like a hardware issue to me - most likely problematic RAM or motherboard. How much RAM do you have in there. Is it the original RAM from Apple or did you install third party ram? If the latter and you have the original, try putting the Apple RAM back in there to see if the problem continues.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I would. Sounds like your hardware's buggy. Like Squonk said, make sure it isn't a memory issue first. My laptop went from acting normal to shutting down almost every fifteen minutes this past summer, and it was a bad memory stick. Could be the same in your case.

4. Pauliography macrumors newbie

Pauliography

Sounds like you have a HW issue, perhaps a loose airport card or other loose connection. I would def take it in to an Apple authorized repair shop, you could go to an Apple store, but I think you will have a better overall experience at a non-apple place.

If you live in or near Boston, I would take it to Tech Superpowers

Paul

5. Sptz thread starter macrumors regular

wow, thank you for the fast replies. I didnt insert new ram, it's the stock ram, it never falled or anything, I treat it right... and what do you mean I'd have a better experience at a non apple store? The problem is, I live in Portugal and I have an apple store right on my street, although I bought it on FNAC. But I'm afraid the won't recon the problem... I don't know.. I did the apple hardware diagnostics extensive and it didnt come up with anything..

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

OK, try removing the ram and reinserting it. Perhaps one of them has gotten loose. Also, try swapping their positions (assuming you have 2 sticks). If still problematic, try running the system with just one stick. If works great, try running with just the other stick.

I'd start by trying to eliminate this is a RAM problem. It's about the only thing you can troubleshoot yourself before taking it to someone...

7. Sptz thread starter macrumors regular

Hm.. ok , but the problem is, it is so random that it could only happen again like in 5 days or something, and it's very hard to know what the problem really is..

8. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Just post your panic.log. When on your desktop hold Command+Shift+U and open the Console. Then navigate to the /Library.Logs and from there select the panic.log. You will see what appears to be a bunch of gibberish, but some of the information is useful. I would say at least the last three entries would suffice. It sorts chronologically, so you can select the last three pretty easily.

9. Sptz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, here it is the one that happened today.

10. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Try turning AirPort off and make sure you do not have an ethernet cable plugged in, then do your normal activities and see if you get a kernel panic. It sounds like it has something to do with your internet connection, and I would assume it always happens when connected to a wireless signal. My guess would be that you have an improperly seated airport card, or a faulty one.

11. Sptz thread starter macrumors regular

Hm.. so you can see in there that it has to do with airport nothing more? Yes this happened always when connected wireless to my home network.. today with that log I showed you I was just listening to a song on myspace, nothing more. Could this explain my horrible wireless signal at home? While my gf's MB is 100x better..

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple products has warranty. Apple Store has Genius Bar which will repair Apple products under warranty at no cost.

Might be a loose airport card / connector if it's airport issue. Make appointment with Genius bar and bring it in.

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This is what points to the Airport Card. Yes, it could explain the bad wireless signal as well.

14. Sptz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thank you guys, so I'm gonna tell the Apple store that. Btw, when this is fixed, how much do you think it's worth it to sell? I bought it in August, so it's like 6 months old, because I'm thinking of getting an iMac because I don't use that much of portability..

Btw is the iMac up for a update soon ?