Starting to learn C but has anyone tried freelancer.com

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by snook911, Apr 4, 2012.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Hi, I am starting to teach myself how to code but realize this is going to be a really long process before I can get an app on the app store. So I found this website that lets you post a project and have programmers bid on it. Alot of the bids I got were from out of the country mostly from India. The range from $250 to $799 to code a free and pro fitness app I want to make. Has anyone used this site. It looks good but I am skeptical. Thanks.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I know most of the sites, the only issue that I have with the low biddings from India is that the quality is uber uber bad, because the cheap prices, the code is just wacked on top of each other, no decent MVC patterns, so if u want to edit it, you're kinda screwed..
    So no delegation, just sending notifications, not properly memory managed.. it's just, well, it will work for a bit, but in the end you are "backstabbing" yourself to be quite honest.

3. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was not planning on going with the low bidder on this. There are bids from india though for $500 to $600 who programers have 4 to 5 stars on there reviews with 30 to 40 completed projects. Those seem good. I mean you don't pay them until after the work is done and you are satisfied so that means I will get to see the code and have the project to test before I pay them. Anyway, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

On the one hand the coders from India and Eastern Europe can work for a lower wage than an American because their cost of living is lower. On the other hand in general their code is lower quality.

Most customers on those sites have no way of judging the quality of the result. Even if they did have that ability they really can't get to the end of a project and say the quality isn't good enough so I won't pay. If the coder delivers something that works or mostly works the customer will most likely pay. Going to arbitration is probably no fun for anyone.

My experience as a coder is that the customers are mostly cheapskates. They usually go for a low bid. I've seen the same project come up more than once because the first time it failed.

What I look for in a customer is responsiveness to my questions, and of course good responses to the questions. No response or poor response and I won't bid. I try to prepare a good proposal for what I'll do with the idea that a good proposal will differentiate me from others who just bid a number.

5. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your comments especially what you look for in a customer. Because of that I am currently working up a very detailed idea on how I would like my app to work and then will repost me project on freelancer.com and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice.