Starting to learn C, what book to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Sam Yikin, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

Alright, I've decided to start learning a few programming languages, and I think I'll start with C. Does anyone know any good books for learning C? Preferably ones that explains each concept in detail, and provide extensive explanation of examples.

2. toddburch macrumors 6502a

3. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

FWIW, I bought Dave Mark's Learn C On the Mac book....very easy to understand....

Check it out at

http://spiderworks.com/books/learncmac.php

It's a downloadable eBook, I printed it out at Office Depot and had it spiral bound, so, very convenient for me to use...

HTH.

4. Sander macrumors 6502

My book is also available as an ebook, but that edition is specifically formatted for small-screen ebook readers.

Depending on your style of learning and the type of programming you want to do, my book may or may not be suited for you. An example chapter is available as HTML from my site, and there is a 3-chapter sample as PDF in the ebook format available too.

It is not Mac-specific, but it mentions how to build your applications in Unix-like environments (including Mac OS X).

End of this commercial - back to your regular scheduled program.

5. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Just took a look at your ebook sample 3-chapter PDF, looks very good!

Thanks for letting us know about it.

6. laprej macrumors regular

C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata is good and the book I used to teach my course this semester. Lots of examples and pretty easy reading. Take a look at it. Super-highly rated on amazon, too.

Link