starting to regret my mbp...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rychencop, Dec 27, 2007.

1. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

after the still unresolved airport issues and the inability to connect correctly to my printer wirelessly, i am starting to regret my switching to mac. the printer issue i can live with, but having to turn my airport off and then on again after my mbp enters sleep or screen saver mode is becoming a huge problem. it has gotten worse with the last few updates from apple. so now i must decide....sell my mbp or keep it and hope this issue gets fixed.

:confused:

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Keep it. It's probably something simple and you'll figure it out (I wish I had the answer, but I don't).

3. Osprey macrumors 6502

I know this problem has been ongoing for some time now and I understand how frustrating it is when you can't keep your internet connection. This probably won't help, but I have an actiontec modem and adding the MBP to this system was the easiest I have ever had it. I hope you get yours to working properly soon. It would be a crying shame to have to give up the MBP because of an issue that shouldn't exist!

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Re the printing issue: I printed wirelessly to my Epson - before it died - but my Kodak won't do it.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What wireless access point / wireless router do you have?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

These are almost certainly Leopard issues. But of course, many people will be happy to tell you "Leopard is not a beta!!!". But what would we be saying if people bought brand new Windows laptops designed for Vista, and couldn't even stay on the internet or connect to their printers? We'd laugh at them, and deride Microsoft for releasing a beta operating system. Yet for some odd reason, when the exact scenario occurs with Leopard, we're really hesitant to put the blame where it belongs--with Apple. There's absolutely no reason why a computer designed for Leopard should have problems out of the box connecting to the internet.

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Don't be silly. There are HUNDREDS of reasons why a computer "out of the box" might have trouble connecting to the Internet. Sometimes its an incompatibility problem or an obscure bug, but most of the time for most people, everything works... and when it doesn't, when the sword of Damocles swings your way, suddenly... it really really sucks. Happens on Windows and Mac, old and new, so pretending otherwise is really rubbish.

I'm sorry your MacBook is having trouble. Have you tried talking to an Apple genius, or tried other wireless networks and reproduced the problem? Have you upgraded your Airport firmware lately? You might try adjusting your "sleep" settings until you're clear where the problem is definitely coming from. I've been seeing lots of mentions of "sleep" problems with the Apple laptops.

Check out the first 6 links from Google. Try those. See what you get.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=macbook+pro+sleep

~ CB

9. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I'm having trouble printing wirelessly as well, but I've decided if I really need to print it wirelessly I'll just email it to my PC thats hardwired to the printer. Annoying, but its a temporary fix until they release an update.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I sold mine and went back to the macbook ....no regrets here :)

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I'm going to be setting up wireless printing tonight. It'd be interesting to know what problems you guys are running into. My boss was telling me today that he wants to hard wire our workstations because wireless printing has been a boondoggle for everyone. I'm going to remain doubtful until I see it. Currently, I have an HP 1100A hooked up to my Mac and printing wonderfully through a cable adapter I picked up. I'm going to be switching that in for a wireless print server I picked up just the other day.

Currently my iMac isn't really connected to ANYTHING except peripherals (and the printer). Again, I'm not expecting trouble, but he said it shows up for people that do a lot of data-heavy printing. I'll certainly give it a shot tonight while I'm rearranging my home office.

~ CB

12. Osprey macrumors 6502

Actually if I am not mistaken, the internet connection problem is not just a new Leopard issue. And in regards to Vista everything will work just fine if you buy new "stuff". I am not saying that everything is perfect in Leopard or for that matter in any operating system, but I still say it would be a crying shame to have to give a new MBP. I just hope the poster gets everything in working order.

13. rychencop thread starter macrumors 65816

rychencop

D-Link Xtreme N router.

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

D-Link products are less than stellar... hate to say it. Get an airport extreme and your issues will vanish.

15. Tefret macrumors newbie

I had simalar issues, but it happened with our XP laptop as well as my macbook. Boxing day I bought a cheap trendnet wireless router and my problems disapeared.

16. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I let my 17" MBP go and I wasn't sad one bit. that damn thing was too big and bulky for someone like myself that likes to take my laptop with me almost everywhere I go.

this is why I bought my 13" black MacBook. it has more than enough power for my needs and it's very easy to tote around.

17. sal macrumors 6502

sorry to hear about your problems. You probably troubleshoot your problem to death but here is my suggestion in regards to the airport issue. Since I experienced similar problems on my MBP.

After a lot of reading and research, I realized there was a problem with incompabilities with my 2wire router and my MBP. I had a LinkSys router lying around, plugged it in and it worked fine. wireless issues went away.

Now I am not suggesting that you go out and buy a new router but if you haven't tried another router, you might want to give that a try. Go to a friend's house, go to the library, go to the apple store, go to starbucks, anyplace you can get internet access and see if you have the same problem. Make sure it's a different router manufacturer.

If you don't experience any problems, then you know it's your router. In which case you can either wait for apple to fix the incompability or you can buy a new router.

Good luck.

18. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

AFter about a month now of having to tote a keyboard and mouse wherever I go, I'm starting to feel the same way, rychencop.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I bring my 17" MBP Santa Rosa everywhere. Not too big for me.

It's used in the car with map screenshots/ directions.
    I even use it in line (at Ikea, at RMV, etc.) as my 17" iPod playing TV show / movie. =)

Maybe some people need to lift more weights?:p

Back to topic, I have Airport Extreme. MBP seems to not like certain older signals. Works fine with Airport Extreme, fast network transfer speed too.

20. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I think not. at least not me.....

I like to have my 13" MacBook with me almost everywhere I go. but at the same time, I don't want to be lugging around a laptop case that makes me look like I'm going on a two week vacation trip.

in other words, I like to travel small and very light. having that big ole honkin' 17" MBP didn't allow me to do that.

21. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

honestly, not that this is a sure way to make it work, but i would reformat the hard drive and reinstall OS X. otherwise it sounds like you got a defective mbp, something is up with the logic board i would say. applecare?

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So you have a D-Link (which isn't a great brand) trying to connect to an MBP via 802.11n?

802.11n is still a draft standard. It's likely that the D-Link and your MBP could have different versions of 802.11n and could have some discrepancies between them. I would disable N all together and try G to see if there is any difference. Also you could try a different router.

Also, your wireless printing is probably an incorrect networking configuration by you.

23. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I don't think he needs to get a new router (especially an expensive as hell Apple router).

I know these bugs suck man, but just remember, if you sold you MBP and got an HP laptop or something you'd be stuck with all of Vista's problems. The next Leopard update will fix these issues.

24. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Well I own an IT support company and will never use D-Link products, they are very unstable and have a history of borking connections both wired and wireless. I have the same MBP with an airport extreme and I NEVER lose connection, ever. I can sleep, travel between different wireless networks etc and it just always works the way it should.

Definitely put the router in multi mode and not just 'N'.

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you're gonna use an N router with your MBP i'd suggest the AEB, otherwise stick to A/B/G. Using separate N vendors will most likely cause you issues.

Sorry about your issues but if something isn't working for you get rid of it. No need to stress yourself. At the end of the day thats what it's about....buying tools that work for/with you.