Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Deja vu....

Anyways, you could probably read the past threads comparing differences between the D40, D50, D80, D200, XT, XTi, 30D, 20D, 10D, 5D, K100D, K10D and/or the A100.... etc etc, ad nausem.

This person will poo poo that person, and that person will agree with the other person. There's plenty of "professional" level analysis to go around. You should read it carefully, but take it with a grain of salt. In the end, it doesn't matter if you have a 10,000 dollar rig, if you're a crappy photographer, you're still a crappy photographer. I've seen people with entry level Nikon D50s blow away photos taken with full frame Canon 5Ds and vice versa with the XT and D200. So my advice is try to pay for features that you're comfortable with or will probably use, don't get a uber-camera and never use half the features.

With that out of the way, I do recommend starting out with a D40, D50, K100D, or XT (or i)... their all under 700 bucks. Spend the rest of the money on a good lens.

TO EVERYONE: we should put up a sticky for this topic as it seems like the same arguments are being put back and forth over and over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.